No qualifications or prior learning are required, but students need to demonstrate that they can work at Masters level. This can be done through the student having a first degree (2.2 or above) or through an agreed academic portfolio. Applicants will normally possess a professional qualification in youth work, community development work, education, health, or related profession.
MS/PG DIP / PG CERT
Months of entry
This course is for experienced youth and community development work practitioners seeking to further develop their knowledge and understanding of their practice and the rapidly changing contexts in which they work. It is also suitable for staff in local authorities, the NHS, voluntary and third sector who use group work, informal learning and activity, outreach and community work, especially those working with young people and adults often labelled as hard to reach.
This very flexible distance learning course can be studied part-time or full-time. It attracts staff from across the UK from a variety of settings such as parenting education, youth work, children's centres, sexual health roles, drug abuse, housing and homelessness, youth offending, mental health, community development and domestic violence.
This course enables the development of innovative, progressive practitioners to reflectively engage with concepts and practices of social justice and equality.
- Suitable for qualified practitioners, with a flexible study course allowing study alongside work.
- DMU holds an international reputation in the field of youth and community development.
- Staff are engaged in professional practice, research, consultancy and teaching, providing you with teaching that is relevant, current and applicable to recent initiatives.
- Provides an opportunity to study at an advanced academic and professional level.
- High quality practice-related modules enabling practitioners and clients to achieve planned change through the process of education, development and practice-orientated research.
Fees and funding
Please visit our website for information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions Department
- +44 (0)116 257 7700
- +44 (0)116 250 6411