You should have the equivalent of a 2:2 or above UK bachelor's Honours degree in a related subject. If you have other professional qualifications and industry experience we will consider your application on an individual basis. You must have a suitable portfolio of multimedia or visual communications work and have some experience of using multimedia software tools. If English is not your first language, you must have an IELTS score of 6.0 or equivalent.
Months of entry
The Digital Design MA is concerned with the creation of any digital or computer related content or products. This includes digital media, digital products, digital interiors, digital exhibitions and installations, digital graphics, digital fashion and even digital branding and marketing.
You can specialise in the following:
* Digital media design, including multimedia design, web design, 2D and 3D computer animation, visual and special effects for TV and film, mobile app design for tablets and smart phones, computer and video games, virtual and augmented reality and 2D and 3D visualisation
* Digital product design, including the design of any computer-based or screen-based product such as smartphones, smart TV's,
tablet devices, smart watches, games consoles, smart household appliances, information systems and 3D digital printing
* Digital interior design, including digital display and projection design, intelligent interiors, digital lighting design and digital furniture design
* Digital exhibition, museum and installation design, including digital heritage resources, digital archeology, interactive kiosk and installation design, virtual museums and exhibitions
* Digital graphic design, including the design of e-books, e-learning, interface design, interaction design and digital signage
* Digital fashion design, including the design of wearable computing, smart clothing design and digital fabrics
* Digital branding and marketing design, including digital corporate identity design, logo design, social media marketing, digital channel advertising and promotion
You will have access to industry standard software and hardware such as Adobe Creative Suite and Autodesk MAYA while working in a dynamic environment with ongoing multimedia research and commercial projects. There are also opportunities to work on digital design projects set by external companies and other organisations. You will develop the skills and ideas to go on to employment as a digital designer or to set up your own business as a freelancer after graduation.
Previous graduates have found employment as web and digital designers, or set up their own businesses as freelancers. Two students won university enterprise awards enabling them to set up their own business in the university's Innovation Centre. Other graduates are working as a senior web designer, app designer, multimedia production director, freelance multimedia designer, interface developer, graphic designer, digital product designer, interior designer and a digital marketing and branding executive.
Information for international students
Some international students may be eligible for a scholarship and/or an early payment discount of up to £500. For more information, visit dmu.ac.uk/international.
Fees and funding
At DMU, we are committed to helping our graduates enhance their careers and personal development through further study. We currently offer the Vice-Chancellor's 2020 Scholarship for Home/EU DMU alumni for students who wish to continue their studies at DMU by enrolling on a Postgraduate taught course. For more information, please visit dmu.ac.uk/pgfunding.
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||25|
|Dissertation||10 (5000 words)|
Course contact details
- De Montfort University
- +44 (0)116 2 50 60 70