Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You should have the equivalent or above of a 2:2 UK bachelor’s honours degree in a relevant subject such as Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Town Planning, Geography, Urban Studies, Engineering Design, Three-Dimensional Design, Graphic Design, Interior Design and Product Design.
If you have no formal academic qualiﬁcations but have extensive industry experience, we will consider your application on an individual basis.
Months of entry
On this course you will gain an advanced design skillset that will enable you to create innovative solutions to the complex social, economic and environmental factors affecting cities. The course is designed to develop your spatial understanding of current theories and principles whilst challenging you to respond to the cultural issues, spatial traditions and histories of city form and design, and the global challenges in 21st century urbanisation.
We will teach and support you to take risks and creatively explore ideas to tackle complex problems and produce critical work. The curriculum concludes with a ‘thesis’ module, a chance to use your conceptual understanding of design to transform urban contexts and independently plan tasks at a professional level.
You will learn to articulate, communicate and illustrate complex city analyses and proposals, underpinned by current practice, theories, and understanding of global urban issues. Graduates will be ideally placed for careers in city planning and architectural design offices, and urban and commercial development consultancy. Upon your graduation you will also be able to join the Urban Design Group as a member and as a recognised practitioner.
- The long-standing Leicester School of Architecture is one of the oldest schools in the UK. Our approach draws upon years of experience to challenge conventions and redefine the future of architectural practice.
- Be supported to tackle real-world issues, while speculating and proposing new futures through bold experimentation.
- Choose to undertake a year-long work placement, gaining valuable experience to enhance and embed your practical and professional skills.
- Learn from dedicated tutors from industry, practice and research, who ensure your work is responding to contemporary, real-world issues grounded in theory and practice.
- Benefit from collaborative learning in studio groups within our supportive and interdisciplinary student community.
- Our award-winning Vijay Patel building has been designed to provide the space and facilities where all of our art and design students can develop their ideas and flourish.
Information for international students
If English is not your first language an IELTS score of 6.0 overall with 5.5 in each band, or equivalent when you start the course is essential. English Language tuition, delivered by our British Council-accredited Centre for English Language Learning, is available both before and throughout the course if you need it.
Fees and funding
Please visit our website for more information about course fees and available funding.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- De Montfort University
- +44 (0)116 2 50 60 70