Entry requirements - general Deakin University offers admission to postgraduate courses through a number of Admission categories. In all categories of admission, selection is based primarily on academic merit as indicated by an applicant's previous academic record. The minimum requirements are successful completion of a three-year undergraduate degree, or equivalent, from an approved university or other educational institution or successful completion of other equivalent qualifications gained by examination, or approved professional or industrial experience. International students must also meet the postgraduate English language requirements.
Entry requirements - specific The minimum requirements are successful completion of a three-year undergraduate degree. Applicants must provide a written statement outlining reasons for undertaking the course. Involvement in professional activities related to health promotion and/or health industry experience would be advantageous. International students must also meet the English language requirements.
Months of entry
The Master of Public Health focuses on improving existing health-promoting environments, identifying public health priorities, generating initiatives for policy and action, and developing strategies and interventions to ensure equity in the health system. It aims to:
- assist students to appreciate the historical foundations of public health and lessons learned from history;
- develop a broad-based understanding of the determinants of health in populations;
- develop knowledge, skills and understanding of the broad public health endeavours
- develop the knowledge and skills necessary to maintain and improve upon existing health-promoting environments
- develop critical thinking about efforts to promote health and prevent disease
- carry out research to identify public health priorities and generate initiatives for policy and action, public health program planning and evaluation
- develop strategies to ensure equity in the health system and interventions to promote the health of disadvantaged groups.
- possess an appreciation of the complex challenges in public health and the need for multidimensional solutions;
- develop the skills necessary to generate and use research data related to public health issues, endeavours and interventions
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Master of Public Health
Course contact details
- Deakin University
- +61 3 9627 4877