Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A good first degree (normally a UK 2.1 or equivalent) plus at least one year of English language teaching experience.
Months of entry
The English Language Centre's MA in Applied Linguistics for TESOL course offers excellent opportunities for experienced language teachers to develop careers in English language teaching.
The course is designed for anyone with an interest in the wider aspects of teaching English as a foreign language, combining innovative classroom practices with an understanding of issues such as language structure and research methodology.
The course offers a core of syllabus design and assessment, with greater depth provided through further required modules focusing on both theoretical and practical aspects of the English language and on classroom practice. You will then have the opportunity to broaden your knowledge base by taking three or four further optional modules covering a wide range of relevant areas. The MA is completed by a 15,000-word dissertation.
- Language Teaching Methodology
- Second Language Development: Perspectives for Teaching
- Dissertation: Includes Research Methods programme
- Language for Teaching
- Advanced Teaching Practice: The Reflective Practitioner.
Examples of optional modules:
Previous optional modules have included:
- Evaluation and Assessment
- Teaching English for Academic Purposes
- Teacher Training, Development and Education
- World Englishes
- English for Specific Purposes
- ELT Materials Development and Evaluation
- Discourse, Texts and TESOL
- English Language Teaching Management
- Teaching Young Learners
- Pragmatics and the Language Classroom.
You can also choose to study an optional module offered to students across the University as one of your four options:
- Foreign Language.
You can choose to further focus your Masters qualification through our programme streams. To qualify, you must choose the optional module and complete your dissertation in the same topic area.
Information for international students
Scholarships available for 2022 entry will be determined in September 2021. Over 60 scholarships are available, each year. Some scholarships are awarded to more than one person. For further information see the course listing.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details