Normally an upper second class honours degree (2:1) or equivalent.
We are keen to consider applications from a professional range of criminal justice backgrounds and experiences.
Months of entry
This course critically addresses a range of key issues and debates relating to crime and the criminal justice system. You will have the opportunity to develop an in-depth understanding of crime, deviance and criminal justice from critical, theoretical, policy, legal, political and practical perspectives and will address issues of historical and contemporary concern such as terrorism, sex work, legal and illegal drugs, crime in the night-time economy, forced migration, gender and crime, domestic violence, crime prevention, prison and punishment, policing, youth crime and justice, law enforcement and the use of new technologies. You will also study issues of theoretical and social importance with lecturers who are international experts in their fields.Course Structure
You will take a range of taught modules primarily in the first two terms of the academic year. You will also undertake two research modules, which will enable you to develop a research proposal for your dissertation.
Core ModulesTheorising Crime and Criminal Justice (30 credits)
- Apply theories of crime and justice to topical issues
- Theory and practice of criminal justice
- Analysis of contemporary politics
- Governance of criminal justice.
- Introduction to social scientific research
- Establishing cause and interpreting meaning in social sciences
- Essentials of quantitative and qualitative research in social science research.
- Formulating research questions
- Ethical review procedures
- Research proposal design, evaluation, and development
- Conversational analysis in practice
- Qualitative interviewing.
- A dissertation of up to 15,000 words on a topic of your choice.
Information for international students
Please check requirements for your subject and level of study.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0)191 334 1000