When you apply, you are expected to have:
- A commitment to, and understanding of, primary education, demonstrating the personal attributes, values and motivation required to train as a teacher;
- Suitable presentational qualities, including a good standard of written English.
Before the programme commences, you must have:
- A first or second class Honours degree from a UK university (or equivalent qualification);
- GCSE at Grade C or Grade 4 (or equivalent qualification) in English Language and Mathematics;
- GCSE at Grade C or Grade 4 (or equivalent qualification) in Combined Science / Physics / Chemistry / Biology.
Please note, for the purposes of initial teacher training, level 2 literacy and numeracy qualifications are not considered as equivalent to GCSE Grade C or Grade 4 in English Language and Mathematics.
EU students can get country-specific information about the University’s entry requirements and equivalent national qualifications at www.edgehill.ac.uk/eu
An academic reference is required for all students who have graduated in the last five years. An interview forms part of the selection process.
You are required to undertake Professional Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy prior to entry to this programme. Successful completion of the Professional Skills Tests will form part of the conditions of any offer of a place. Further details can be found at www.edgehill.ac.uk/skillstests
If you accept a formal offer from Edge Hill University you will be required to meet the Department for Education’s standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children. Further information, including a Declaration of Health questionnaire and details of how to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure
will be sent to you after you have firmly accepted an offer. The standard cost of applying for DBS Enhanced Disclosure for this course is currently £50.
Months of entry
Successful completion of the programme leads to recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status.
Our PGCE Primary Education with QTS programme is a school-based partnership, combining on-campus study with training in placement schools and settings.
This PGCE will train you to teach across the 5-11 age range in Key Stages 1 and 2 and achieve the Teachers’ Standards. You will receive a high quality training experience and learn the latest approaches and strategies necessary to fully prepare you for your first year as a Newly Qualified Teacher (NQT).
During the programme you will study a breadth of subjects, including all of the National Curriculum subjects. Through a focus on evidence-based research, you will investigate one of the following areas further:
We strongly recommend an early application as there is high demand for places.
- Computing/Technology Enhanced Learning
- Creative Arts
- Modern Languages
- Physical Education
- Special Educational Needs/Disabilities
- Learning Outside The Classroom