To join this PGCE, you will be expected to have:
- A first or second class Honours degree from a UK university (or equivalent qualification) which has a proportion of mathematical content (exceptions may be made and enhancement routes are available);
- An A Level in Mathematics (or equivalent qualification);
- GCSE English Language and Mathematics at Grade C or Grade 4 or above (or equivalent qualification);
- Satisfactory levels of Information and Communications Technology competence;
- A commitment to, and understanding of, secondary education, demonstrating the personal attributes, values and motivation required to train as a teacher.
Please note, for the purposes of initial teacher training, level 2 literacy and numeracy qualifications are not considered as equivalent to GCSE Grade C or Grade 4 in English Language and Mathematics.
EU students can get country-specific information about the University’s entry requirements and equivalent national qualifications at www.edgehill.ac.uk/eu
You are required to undertake Professional Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy prior to entry to this programme. Successful completion of the Professional Skills Tests will form part of the conditions of any offer of a place. Further details can be found at www.edgehill.ac.uk/skillstests
If you accept a formal offer from Edge Hill University you will be required to meet the Department for Education's standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children. Further information, including a Declaration of Health questionnaire and details of how to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure
will be sent to you after you have firmly accepted an offer. The standard cost of applying for DBS Enhanced Disclosure for this course is currently £50.
Months of entry
Successful completion of the programme leads to recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status.
This comprehensive programme incorporates the very latest curriculum requirements and offers you the chance to learn from leading experts in Mathematics teacher training. You will strengthen your subject knowledge and boost your personal and professional ICT skills, ensuring you are at the cutting edge of teaching and learning.
The programme aims to develop reflective and analytical skills as well as providing practical experience in planning effective lessons and learning strategies. Hands-on classroom experience provides opportunities to further deepen your own subject knowledge.
If you have a degree in Mathematics or a related subject and want to develop the numeric and problem-solving abilities of secondary school pupils aged 11 to 16, this is the programme is for you.