The offer of entry onto a Masters Degree (MA) is based on an expectation that you have the potential to fulfil the aims of the course of study and achieve the standard required to successfully complete the award. Applicants are normally expected to possess an BA degree in fine arts, applied arts or design, or have equivalent experience. Graduates from related disciplines who can demonstrate a suitable level of visual literacy may be considered. Applicants who do not have a BA but who have had experience in the field, may also be considered. All candidates must submit a portfolio with their application, which should normally consist of 10-20 images that represent their area of interest.
Months of entry
One edition per year from September to July
English Edition: Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 11am to 3.45pm
Spanish Edition: Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, from 5pm to 9.15pm
The MA Photography & Design course at ELISAVA School of Design and Engineering of Barcelona is a taught, practice-based programme, which attracts students from around the world and approaches photography as an open visual discipline in where you are encouraged to confidently produce complex and extended photographic projects as well as engage with contemporary, critical, experimental and speculative approaches to photography. The course places an emphasis on innovation, experimentation, and intellectual and practical enquiry in where students are encouraged to actively engage with contemporary photographic art practice through publication, exhibition and participation in live projects.
The course offers a dynamic and exciting environment for studying the practice of photography enabling students to acquire advanced photographic skills and apply them to complex, self-generated projects, and engaging with different technical and theoretical practices about the image. This characterises our committed study at postgraduate level, bringing photographic education up to date with contemporary photographic practice. It also pays attention to the dissemination of photographic work, exhibition & publication and focuses on the reasons by which the meaning of an image is shaped by its use and contextualization.
Drawing on the expertise of a diverse range of professional photographers, guest lecturers and technical advisers, you will enhance your knowledge and skills through a series of photographic projects using practice-led research and supportive written work. By the end of the MA you should be able to produce challenging cutting edge contemporary work that uses photography effectively, exploring beyond the medium specific boundaries in order to produce innovative solutions to new arenas and methods of display and delivery.
- Provide a flexible but structured interdisciplinary context in which students can rigorously pursue a self-directed research project whose outcomes are embodied within the systematic production of a specific and original body of work within the field of photography.
- To encourage the development of each student’s own critical reflection as the basis for developing as independent learners capable of advancing their own skills, knowledge and professional and research practice.
- Provide students with the means for establishing and understanding the place of their own work within the context of relevant and contemporary academic and professional situations and debates.
- Provide students with professional photography technical skills.
- To encourage the development of research strategies that reflect the contemporary context in theoretical discourse and creative practice and form the basis for informed speculation about future directions.
- To engage with real audiences, generating new challenging narratives about the nature of the work itself and its relation with changed modes of production, dissemination and consumption.
- To provide professionals specialising in the area of photography with multidisciplinary training so that they can use photography as a tool for conveying concepts and ideas.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
On successful completion of the course students will have:
- Initiated and implemented an individual self-directed research project using research methods, materials, techniques and processes appropriate to design practice.
- Demonstrated a thorough understanding of, and critical engagement with, the relevant practical, theoretical and professional contexts of their project and be able to situate and interpret their own work within this context.
- Demonstrated an ability to employ analysis, synthesis and evaluation to a range of external sources and to their own practice to inspire and inform the generation, development and application of original ideas.
- Demonstrated a reflective and evaluative approach to their own work which allows them to act independently in identifying, implementing and sustaining individual research and practice at a professional level.
- Demonstrated an ability to communicate complex and speculative concepts, methods and proposals effectively in spoken, written and visual forms.
- Identified the potential for their work within specific professional contexts and developed appropriate communication skills for engagement with this audience.
- Demonstrated an ability to use photography as a tool for communicating effectively concepts and ideas.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Nuria Garcia
- +(34) 93 553 59 04