Graduates in Design. Architects. Architectural technicians, building engineers. Graduates in Fine Arts. Professionals or academics with proven experience in the fields this course covers.
Months of entry
From 2003, year after year, the Postgraduate Diploma in Design of Work Space has transmitted knowledge and professional experience about interior design in the working environment to all the students that have taken the course.
The main goal of this postgraduate is to delve into spatial organization, environmental quality and comfort aspects, having in mind the new behaviours in the world of work. Corporative goals are also in focus. Finally, this course aims to acquire a concrete awareness about what space usage means, emphasizing in design communication in order to transmit business values and to answer people’s wishes.
The central project of this postgraduate, carried out around a thematic area related to contemporary work spaces, is nourished with the knowledge acquired in the modules of the course –all of them are also related to a practical exercise, as described in the course’s programme-, and with the experience provided by those visits to model buildings, professional offices, and to centres of system equipment production related to work space, where companies in this sector of industry take a central role and transmit their valuable background.
This course counts on a team of specialized teachers with a wide professional career. Meanwhile, during 14 years of existence, this course has counted on several lecturers of international standing, such as Sevil Peach, Roland Bouroullec, Iñaki Ábalos, Alejandro Zaera, Carlos Ferrater, Fermín Vázquez, Nic Bewick, Francisco Vázquez, Daniel Freixes, Martí Guixé, El Último Grito, Carme Pinós, Jordi Badía, Santiago Miranda, and Curro Claret, among many others.
Year after year, the students’ work -carried out both individually and in group- and their close relationship to present, nourishes our imagination and means a decisive incentive to keep growing in all stages of the course. And so will be next course edition, during which we will face new challenges together in a continuous fine-tuning exercise.
Our activities may be found in this webpage and they can also be followed in our blog www.dedt.elisava.net, and in www.facebook.com/coordinador.dedt, where reference texts and other interesting documents related to this course can be found.
The programme of the Postgraduate Diploma in Design of Work Space trains students to face with solvency the challenges of the professional world and prepare them to be capable of solving the requirements asked by the promoter and to be propositive having in mind the identity of the people involved.
- To delve into the specific production features of the different modalities in design in relation to the space that has to be designed.
- To know the requirements of the corporations and, specially, of the workers regarding digitalization and new work habits.
- To assimilate the social and cultural emerging values that can be found at the base of the implementation criteria through those disciplines implied: sociology, ergonomics, sustainability, technology, prevention, and its influence in the project process.
- To apply, in a creative way, the acquired knowledge corresponding to the notion of design.
- To evaluate the incidence of new technologies in conditioning the physic space.
Students will get a specialization in design of interior space for a working environment. During this course, they have the opportunity to be trained in detailed aspects of interior projects, to delve into sustainable values –lights, colours, materials-, and to acquire a critical and innovative view about work space.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Design of Work Space is structured in the following thematic modules:
1. PLANNING GUIDE OF THE WORK SPACE
- Basic measures.
- Mechanization of the environment.
- Voice and data management.
- Introduction to the resource management: facilities and project management.
- Maintenance and replacement, operating services.
2. NEW PROJECT OPERATORS / NEW PERFORMANCES
- Space organisation. Project operators.
- Architectural devices and work organisation.
- Historical evolution and recent geography of the office buildings.
3. CORPORATIVE INTERIOR DESIGN
- Communication and Design.
- Design for the company –design for the users.
- Concept and space planning.
4. BASIC VALUES FOR THE WELL-BEING OF THE USER
- Safety, health and risk prevention.
- Acoustic, light and thermal comfort.
5. WORK SPACE EQUIPMENT
- Elements of the system: furniture.
- Elements of the system: lighting.
- Applied graphics. Signage. Corporative image.
- Facing materials. Cataloguing and the products approval.
- Production processes of dividing lines and accessories.
6. INTERIOR SPACE PERCEPTION
- Light as an active in the space conceptualization.
- New textures, new meanings.
- About colour.
A project which consists of the implementation of an administrative or professional office in a pre-existent venue.
- Visits to the interior of buildings and corporations and visits to companies that produce specialized equipment for the work space.
- Different lectures given by renowned professionals.
- Each thematic module is related to one practical exercise or workshop.
*PROJECT WHICH ORGANISES THE COURSE
The final project of the Postgraduate Diploma in Design of Work Space consists in solving the implementation of an administrative usage space or a professional office for which the common frame of reference is the office. The office is understood from a contemporary point of view, because it counts on corporative interests and on users’ well-being, known as knowledge worker: someone that make creative decisions having a sophisticated technology at his/her disposal.
The project works on a real place, a preexisiting building with unique characteristics and a contrasted programme whose pieces of information are chosen from real needs of the companies. During all these years, briefings from different companies have been used as models. These collaborating companies are: the work manager of La Caixa, the Education Consortium of Barcelona, the multinational company of services AGBAR, the Arrels Foundation, and an internationally relevant institution dedicated to world food. Some implementations have been installed at outstanding buildings in Barcelona such as the World Trade Center, at the port; the schools from the Noucentisme period Pere Vila, close to triumphal arch; the building Media-TIC, in the technological neighborhood 22@; the tour AGBAR, by Jean Nouvel; a pavilion of the Modernist Complex of Hospital de Sant Pau, and other great examples of the urban architecture in Barcelona during the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. We can state that, if necessary, the projects will be ready to be carried out and to be developed.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Nuria Garcia
- +(34) 93 553 59 04