- A History degree (or equivalent) or in some circumstances, a related subject with other History background.
- Maths and English at Grade C or above at GCSE. (Note: an equivalency test is available from the university.)
- Successful completion of the Get Into Teaching Skills Test. We recommend you review GITEP’s Skills Tests Procedure for 2016 Entry.
- Degree at 2:2 or above.
- Involvement with young people, e.g., coaching, youth club.
- Recent connections with Secondary education.
- Recent involvement in Historical societies, clubs, etc.
- An awareness of issues in History education: TES, Historical Association.
Months of entry
Trainees come together with Rachael Moore, the Subject Leader, for a weekly opportunity to learn more about the subject and the pedagogy of History. It is an opportunity to learn from Rachael, visiting experts and each other.
Visits extend trainees’ subject knowledge and provide ideas for school trips and the value of them. Recent trips have been to Berkeley Castle, Chedworth Roman Villa, Warwick Castle, the Imperial War Museum and the National Gallery. Trainees also have the opportunity to accompany their placement school on trips which go out while they are on placement.
Subject Sessions usually take place at Balcarras School on a Thursday afternoon, and occasionally at the school of the guest expert.
Information for international students
If you have studied outside the UK, you should visit the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC) website to find out whether your qualifications are of an equivalent level to UK GCSEs, A Levels and an undergraduate degree.
Fees and funding
Please see the finance page.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- 01242 505945