Please visit the Goldsmiths website for details.
Months of entry
This programme will enable you to teach across the curriculum in two consecutive primary school age ranges, with either French, German or Spanish as a specialist subject. Our exciting and challenging course aims to develop both competence and confidence.
In this course you will follow an innovative structure combining three strands that will help you develop the knowledge, skills and understanding you need in teaching and learning modern foreign languages at primary level. You will be engaged in practical and theoretical enquiry, both in College and on a school placement, to enable you to reach your full potential as a qualified teacher.
You follow the same programme as other PGCE (Primary) students, but also take these modern languages elements as part of curriculum studies:
- theories of second language learning and some aspects of bilingualism
- pedagogical approaches to modern language learning
- impact of parents, teachers and socio-cultural context on language learning
- critical and analytical approach to teaching strategies and resources
- curriculum design for primary modern language teaching (QCA guidelines for KS2, linguistic progression, differentiation, assessment)
- planning of modern languages in conjunction with other curricular areas (cross-curricular links with literacy, numeracy, citizenship, ICT, etc)
- planning the implementation of modern languages into primary school and the transition from primary to secondary education
- a linguistic component to support the development of your own language skills
- a cultural component (awareness and understanding)
- school experience in England. As part of your school placement, you teach French, German or Spanish alongside all other curriculum areas.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)20 7078 5300