We prefer you to have a Masters degree, or to be studying for one at the time of your application. However, we will consider applicants with a good undergraduate degree.
Research; composition; sonic arts; performance.
Months of entry
Goldsmiths' Department of Music has a lively and varied research base, large postgraduate community, active performing tradition, and offers proximity to London's resources. Staff research interests are correspondingly diverse and wide-ranging, and we offer research supervision in any of these areas of specialism.
- Written thesis of up to 100,000 words (MPhil: 60,000 words). We offer supervision in many areas of music studies.
- Composition. Examined by portfolio of compositions, together with a 20,000 word commentary (MPhil: 12,000 words).
- Performance. Examined by a full-length recital, together with a related 50,000-word thesis (MPhil: 30,000 words).
- Sonic Arts: Examined by portfolio of practice, and a 40,000-60,000 word commentary (MPhil: 20,000-30,000 words). Portfolios may include recordings, documentation of installation work, or other sonic arts work.
- Practice-Based Research in Music: Examined by portfolio of practice, and a 30,000-60,000 word written element. Portfolios may include recordings of composition; documentation of performance; ethnographic film; web-based and digital humanities projects; documentation of installation; other practice-based research.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)20 7078 5300