- Hold a degree level professional qualification in social work or one of the caring profession;
- Be registered or be in the process of registering with the HCPC as a social worker, or if you are not qualified as a social worker, be registered or in the process of registering with the appropriate professional body if applicable;
- Have developed and consolidated your practice in a specific area of social care practice; (requirement: two years’ relevant work experience before taking full responsibility for assessing a social work placement, qualified for two years for module SW76007A and three years’ relevant work experience, qualified for two years by the end of the programme. for SW76008A);
- Have obtained initial competence in teaching and assessing the practice of professional students and mentoring and supporting students or colleagues;
- Be able to demonstrate that they can meet the academic requirements of a post-graduate programme;
- Be working or intending to take up employment (usually in a paid, but exceptionally in a voluntary capacity) in a setting that will enable you to demonstrate competence in practice education at the required level.
Months of entry
This programme can support you in developing your professionalism by enhancing your skills, expanding your knowledge and reflecting on values.
Do you see yourself moving into a more experienced, advanced or strategic social work role? If so, this programme can support you in developing your professionalism by enhancing your skills, expanding your knowledge and reflecting on values. They offer a whole range of modules designed to further your capabilities in all domains of the PCF, but they focus especially on practice education and professional leadership. In addition, many of the modules are designed to further your knowledge and skills outlined in the Knowledge and Skills Statement for Practice Supervisors of Social Workers in Child and Family Social Work.
Normally, practitioners take individual modules of this programme and apply through the Continuous Professional Development Framework. If you want to achieve the MA or exit with a Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma, and you are supported by your employer to do so, then you should apply to this programme.
The MA in Professional Leadership for Social Work is ideal for qualified social workers. If you are a professional from another discipline please go to the MA in Practice Education, which is aimed at other staff working in social welfare roles. Both programmes will enable you to extend and develop your existing competence and prepare for leadership and research in practice education. All modules, except the dissertation, can be taken as standalone MA-level CPD modules.
Information for international students
If English isn’t your first language, you will need an IELTS score of 6.5 with a 6.5 in writing to study this programme.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)20 7078 5300