For MSc level entry applicants must have:
- Minimum of 2:2 honours degree or equivalent academic qualification in cognate and semi-cognate subject area. For PG conversion programmes, non-cognate degrees will be considered. Corporate (or chartered) membership of relevant professional institutions will also be considered.
For PG Diploma level entry applicants must have:
- Third class honours degree in a cognate or semi-cognate subject area PLUS 2 years of relevant experience at an appropriate level completed post qualification.
- Cognate or semi-cognate ordinary degree PLUS 3-4 years of relevant experience at an appropriate level following graduation.
- Candidates who do not meet the above entry requirements or have no formal academic qualifications will be considered individually based on their CV and interview. Admission via this route will be at the discretion of the Director of Admissions and the number of successful applicants will be restricted.
There is no entry at PG Certificate level except through exceptional agreement with approved learning partners.
Non-graduating study at masters level:
- Entry is based on CV or on formal academic qualifications or graduate (or incorporated) membership of a relevant professional institution.
Heriot-Watt University is committed to providing opportunities to applicants who have a wide range of prior experiences through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).
Months of entry
Over half of the world’s population now lives in urban areas and the sustainable development of our cities poses key challenges for urban management. There is a need to deliver sustainability while ensuring managed urban environments can adapt to a changing climate and changing economic and social conditions.
This programme represents a new type of degree, focusing on analysing the issues of, and the tools used to address and deliver, sustainable development across the globe, from the scale of the building right up to the regional and national scale. It is designed to equip urban managers and leaders with an academically rigorous and professionally relevant postgraduate qualification relating to changing global circumstances.
This programme can be studied full-time, part-time or via Independent Distance Learning (IDL), ideal for those in employment or with other commitments, providing flexible study options that fit around work or family.
Information for international students
The minimum requirement for English language is IELTS 6.5 or equivalent. We offer a range of English language courses to help you meet the English language requirement prior to starting your masters programme.
Fees and funding
Please visit our Scholarships web pages for more information on scholarships and funding.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Chris McWilliams
- +44 (0)131 451 4625