We welcome applications from suitably qualified candidates. Please note that it is not necessary to have identified a potential supervisor before submitting your application.
Students successful in obtaining a place on our PhD programme normally commence their research studies at the start of the academic year in September. However, it is possible to join the PhD programme at an agreed date during the academic year.
Months of entry
Economics research at Heriot-Watt is focused around our two research centres:
We also have expertise in the area of Development Economics right from household behaviour through to wider demographic issues, as well as Macro and Monetary Economics, notably monetary policy.
In addition to our research on economics of transition, our other research areas include
- Research in industrial economics Labour economics research includes the informal sector and labour markets in developing and transition countries.
- Applied Econometrics - Instrumental variables estimators and testing procedures for the software package Stata.
- Development Economics - Middle-Eastern economies, insurance in developing countries.
- Energy Economics - Energy efficiency and utilisation production, resources.
- Industrial Economics - Research includes the performance of regulated industries, particularly water, and enterprise restructuring in transition economies.
- Macroeconomics - Monetary policy fiscal policy, exchange rate regimes, EMU, and gravity models of trade.
energy and environmental economics, monetary policy, spatial econometrics
Information for international students
If you have not already studied a degree programme that was taught and examined in the medium of English we require evidence of language proficiency:
For IELTS: the minimum overall IELTS score is 6.5 with no score lower than 6.0 in Reading, Writing, speaking and Listening.
Fees and funding
The School of Management and Languages offers:
1. Postgraduate Research Scholarships (full fees and maintenance)
2. Fees-only Research Scholarships
Heriot-Watt University offers:
1. Overseas Research Scholarships
2. James Watt Scholarships.
Additionally, ESRC studentships are also available.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Caroline Murray
- +44 (0)131 451 4454