Normally a degree in medicine or a least an upper second class degree in a healthcare related subject such as nursing, pharmacy, physiotherapy or similar health science. Exceptionally, students with a diploma who have substantial work experience in a healthcare field will also be considered (these applicants will have to successfully complete a special qualifying examination set by the College).
Months of entry
The PG Cert will develop an understanding of:
- The ontogeny of systems from conception to maturity and how this affects manifestations and susceptibility to disease
- Early life programming covering the physiology, biochemistry, immunology and genetic influences on organ systems
- Evidence-based paediatrics and how different study designs can be tailored to answer different research questions
- Normal patterns of infant growth and development and common disorders and their causes
- The presentation, recognition, diagnosis, management and outcome of the conditions which most commonly cause life-threatening and chronic illness in children
- The concepts of leadership and management within the context of healthcare
- The use of innovation and improvement to develop services, whilst appropriately managing resources
The PG Diploma:
- The diagnosis and management of some of the more complex problems and challenges encountered within paediatrics and child health
- The detailed knowledge and understanding of the essential facts, concepts, principles and theories relevant to the student’s theme of subsequent research
- Management and communication skills, including problem definition, project design, decision processes, teamwork, written and oral reports, scientific publications.
- Will provide a solid foundation for those who intend to go on to study for an MD [Res] or PhD
With the knowledge, skills, understanding and contacts you gain through the study programme of your choice, you will be far better placed to achieve your career goals.
Information for international students
This is a blended learning programme with short face to face blocks of teaching in London with the majority of learning being online.
Fees and funding
We offer a range of scholarships for postgraduate students to support you through your studies. Try our scholarships search tool to see what you might be eligible for.
For more information on the Postgraduate Master's Loan scheme and other funding opportunities that are available, please visit our Fees and Funding website.
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written/ formal examinations||30|
|Dissertation||40 (10000 words)|
Course contact details
- Dr Jill A Warner
- +44 (0) 207 5943697