Masters degree and have an accredited social work qualification (GSCC or equivalent) and Evidence of experience relating to social work practice or social work policy
Months of entry
The part-time Professional Doctorate in Social Work, DSW builds on the established and very successful BA (Hons) Social Work and MA Social Work to provide a specialist route for social work or social policy professionals who wish to embark on doctoral study located within their own professional discipline.
The Doctorate in Social Work (DSW) is a 4-7 year part-time programme. In the first two years students are required to attend the University for Taught Modules. There are 5 modules in total, each of which is taught in 1-2 day blocks. Around this formal teaching, there are regular opportunities for face to face and e-mail support. In years 3 - 4 (and beyond where necessary) students work under the guidance and support of a nominated supervisor to produce a 60,000 word thesis.
The programme has been specifically designed for female and male professionals, practitioners, policy-makers, leaders and managers, and academics - across all areas of social work with adults and children & families.
The aims of the DSW are to:
- Develop in-depth and systematic understanding of knowledge, skills and values in relation to contemporary social work policy and practice
- Promote an understanding of research evidence and methodologies relevant to professional practitioners
- Develop a critical awareness and application of research evidence, methodologies and methods at the forefront of contemporary social work policy and practice
- Provide opportunities for interdisciplinary learning and collaboration through shared learning with colleagues from a range of public professions
- Enable participants to undertake a doctoral research study of relevance to relevance to social work policy or practice.
Information for international students
IELTs at level 6.5. Professional qualification in line with UK level.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time60-84 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Further details of qualification
A professional doctorate in Social Work. The programme comprises four taught modules (2 single, 2 double) in Year 1 and Year 2, followed by the undertaking of an independent, supervised research study. http://www.keele.ac.uk/pgresearch/choosingaresearchdegree/professionaldoctorates/doctorateinsocialwork/
Course contact details
- Miss Elizabeth Cameron
- +44 (0)1782 734256