Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You will need to be a healthcare professional in active practice or in a healthcare leadership role to apply for this award.
Months of entry
Professional training programmes provide specialist knowledge and skills for independent practice but there is widespread recognition of the need for skills in additional components to equip professionals for the challenges of modern health care. This programme has been designed specifically to address these needs, by enabling you to think creatively and to challenge how healthcare services are currently delivered.
The course is divided into modules, and each module is given a credit rating within the national master's framework. Some of the modules are taught face to face whilst others are partly online or portfolio based. The portfolio-based modules include tutored supervision to guide the student's work. The postgraduate certificate must be completed within three years of registration.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Science (Leadership and Management) (60 credits) includes the following modules:
- Leadership and Management for Healthcare Professionals (15 credits)
- Independent Practice Based Study (30 credits)
- Managing Change and Quality Improvement (15 credits)
Course content is for guidance purposes only and may be subject to change.
Good and effective leadership in healthcare practice makes a very positive difference to improving patient care.
By the end of the programme, you will:
- Understand how organisations work and the challenges involved in leading and managing busy clinicians and establishing effective team working in order to deliver high quality care and bring about change as required
- Be better informed about current and prevailing national health policy and how they work in practice
- Understand how the NHS is funded and the key issues around commissioning arrangements and how care needs to be organised and delivered
- Have acquired a range of leadership and management skills and have the confidence to apply these concepts in practice by engaging and empowering others
- Have had the opportunity to study in depth an element of effective leadership in healthcare practice
Fees and funding
Please see the funding page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part timeUp to 36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Medicine PG Admin
- 01782 734933