A dental qualification plus at least two years post-qualification experience.
FDS, MFDS or MJDF is desirable.
Months of entry
The main themes which you will study are:
- the scientific basis of periodontal care
- the relationship of other dental disciplines to periodontal care
- diagnosis and treatment planning for patients with advanced periodontal disease involving multidisciplinary approaches and integrated treatment
- the clinical treatment of patients with advanced periodontal disease
- techniques for placement and restoration of dental implants in different clinical situations
- aesthetics and contemporary surgical methods.
Through hands-on experience, you will acquire advanced competency in the full range of specialist periodontics clinical skills and complementary aspects of restorative dentistry.
Students will be exposed to research methods by seminars, extensive reviews of the classical and contemporary literature, critical appraisal of new scientific and clinical developments, and the completion of an in-depth literature review and a research project.
Our students have recently investigated smoking and periodontal health, periodontal microbiology and immunology, clinical trials of periodontal treatment and oral hygiene methods, behavioural factors in periodontology and periodontal relationships to systemic health.
You will achieve clinical proficiency in periodontics to a recognised UK specialist level.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time36-48 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Diane Dale
- +44 (0)20 7188 1605