We welcome applications from those who possess a good honours degree (or equivalent) in any relevant discipline. If you do not have an honours degree you will need to show us evidence that you know enough about the relevant subjects to understand the course materials – for example, a professional qualification, training, or work experience in a relevant field. Please contact the postgraduate admissions team to find out more. If you do not meet these entry requirements, our pre-masters programme can prepare you for the course.
Months of entry
If you want to pursue a rewarding, exciting and challenging career in the financial sector, this course provides the knowledge and skills you need, even if you do not already have experience in finance. It will give you a well-integrated knowledge of financial accounting, finance and investment, and management accounting, together with the ability to relate this to the wider issues of management and corporate strategy. It produces graduates who are prepared for high-level jobs in the financial industries.
- The programme has been developed in consultation with finance professionals at RBS Capital Markets, Commerzbank AG, Standard Chartered Bank and NatWest Bank to give you the practical, real-life skills employers require in this highly competitive sector.
- We are one of only a handful of UK universities that offer a Bloomberg trading room, giving you the opportunity to develop the hands-on skills employers want.
- There are regular talks from practising industry experts such as the former head of Financial Services Authority.
- As well as studying an international curriculum, you will meet and work with students from a wide variety of countries and cultures who can add international insight to class discussions and working groups, and give you a global alumni network.
- Kingston students can apply for Bloomberg certification. These industry-standard qualifications give graduates a huge additional advantage in the jobs market – and save time and money on extra studies.
- All our staff are highly accredited and experienced, and many have worked at high levels within business: in the UK Research Excellence Framework 2014, two-thirds of our research activity was classified as internationally excellent or world-leading.
- Enjoy studying in the peaceful and leafy suburb on Kingston, which is within easy reach of central London. It has the lowest crime rate in London and has been rated London's happiest borough.
- Kingston Business School has joined an elite group of global institutions to be awarded the prestigious international accreditation by the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). A hallmark of excellence in business education, the accreditation has been earned by just 5 per cent of the world's business schools.
What will you study
In this research-led masters, you will learn from recent journal articles and research papers, live data and up-to-the-minute theories and models. You will learn from real-life examples and case studies during the taught sessions. The programme has a balanced approach between quantitative and qualitative methods, and it provides candidates with the computer and research skills required by employers in this highly competitive sector.
You will develop your understanding of the purpose and nature of financial accounting and reporting, and look at how theoretical and conceptual issues integrate with operational and practical activities.
You will also look at the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental factors that influence an organisation's social responsibilities, and how these integrate with a company's strategic decision-making processes. You will examine the core theories of finance and investment, and how they can be used in practical decision-making contexts.Work placement scheme
Many postgraduate courses at Kingston University allow students to do a 12-month work placement as part of their course. The responsibility for finding the placement is with the student; we cannot guarantee the placement, just the opportunity to undertake it. As the work placement is an assessed part of the course, the work placement is covered by a student's tier 4 visa.
Information for international students
All non-UK applicants must meet our English language requirements. For this course it is Academic IELTS of 6.5 overall, with no element below 6.0. Please make sure you read our full guidance about English language requirements, which includes details of other qualifications we'll consider. http://www.kingston.ac.uk/international/studying-at-kingston/language-requirements/ http://www.kingston.ac.uk/international/studying-at-kingston/language-requirements/
Fees and funding
Please see http://www.kingston.ac.uk/postgraduate-course/finance-msc/fees-and-bursaries.html for further details.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions team
- 0844 8544971/+44(0)203 308 9928