Good honours degree or equivalent in computer science/IT or substantial relevant work experience. Please note: each application is assessed on an individual basis and may be subject to additional requirements, such as undertaking short course(s), work experience and/or English language qualification(s). Meeting particular minimum entry requirements does not automatically guarantee a place.
Months of entry
This course aims to provide the knowledge and skills required to design, model and effectively operate secure and dependable digital IP-based networks.
It will provide you with the opportunity to gain a sound understanding of the internet protocol suite that forms the core for current data networks. The fusion of the internet world and multimedia is also addressed, as well as wireless communications. You can combine this course with management studies.
- This course is accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT.
- You will have the opportunity to study for industry certification, including CISCO, as an optional extra to the masters programme.
- You will have the option to work in one of our state-of-the-art research labs, called WMN (Wireless Multimedia and Networking). WMN is involved in EU and UK research collaborations and offers opportunities for advanced research and short-term research fellowships on completion of your MSc degree.
What will you study
Using the latest methods and conforming to current network design standards, you will develop a disciplined engineering approach to, and sound practical skills in, the specification, design, modelling and implementation of software and hardware. You will gain specialist knowledge of digital communications , multimedia communications , wireless networks, security issues and other advanced technologies. You will have access to a dedicated test LAN/ WLAN with a diverse range of platforms and equipment, including wireless networks and enterprise scale networking technologies.
Please note that this is an indicative list of modules and is not intended as a definitive list.
- Data Communications
- Wireless Communications and Networks
- Network and Information Security
- Multimedia Communications
- Project Dissertation
Information for international students
All non-UK applicants must meet our English language requirements. For this course it is Academic IELTS of 6.5 overall with 6.0 in Writing and 5.5 in Reading, Listening and Speaking. Read our full guidance about English language requirements, which includes details of other qualifications we'll consider: English language requirements at Kingston University
Fees and funding
Please see Networking & Data Communications / with Management Studies Masters (MSc): Fees and bursaries for further details.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions team
- 08448 547683/+44 (0)20 3308 9931