Successful applicants will be expected to have either:
- a good honours degree awarded by a British or approved overseas university. Normally the degree level should be at second-class honours level or higher and contain one or more aspects from the GIS, geographical, Earth, environmental, computer or biological sciences as the major field(s) of study; or
- for those without formal undergraduate qualifications, be able to demonstrate extensive work experience or career development in the field of GIS.
Months of entry
Kingston University offered the first GIS undergraduate degree in the world in 1989, followed by several MSc and PhD research degrees. Today, Kingston is considered one of the UK's foremost centre for GIS education and training, with one of the largest GIS programmes in Europe. This course provides a high level of competency in the principles of GI science and the use of geotechnology, as well as the skills to routinely use professional software for data acquisition, handling, exploration and mapping.
- Kingston University is recognised within the industry as a premier provider of GIS education with our graduates having amongst the highest employment rates.
- Fieldwork is an important part of our teaching.
The course covers the principles of GI science and geotechnology and the foundations of geographical information handling.
You will learn how to handle spatial entities for data transformations, generalisation and aggregation, and will develop competency in analytical operations, methods and spatial analyses. You will have the chance to implement principles of map design and graphical representation techniques, and will gain an understanding of spatial database systems and application design. You will also perform storage and retrieval operations, and work with alternative data models, 3D modelling and advanced visualisation.
The course is taught partly in distance-learning mode and partly in traditional classroom mode or entirely in distance-learning mode.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- online24-72 months
- distance learning24-72 months
Further details of qualification
This course can be studied online or via distance learning.
Course contact details
- Admissions Team