A second class degree or above or equivalent and/or demonstrable enthusiasm for publishing.
Months of entry
From books and magazines to apps and websites, publishers need excellent product-development, consumer-marketing and digital-technology skills. To succeed in this global business, you will also need great organisational and communication skills, outstanding attention to detail and the ability to work effectively with others. The best publishers are those who can think on their feet and embrace and exploit new challenges. This course aims to help you gain all these skills and qualities.
- This course will help develop your skills and prepare you for a career in the publishing industry, whether as publisher, agent or supplier. The competencies acquired through this course have an increasingly wide transferrable value within the international economy as a whole.
- You will benefit from the input of a dynamic Publishers' Advisory Board, members of which give lectures and masterclasses on the MA and contribute to its development.
- You will undertake a work placement with a relevant organisation, usually represented by a member of our Publishers' Advisory Board. These placements have resulted in many of our students gaining references and employment opportunities within the industry.
- Kingston University's Publishing MA programme has been awarded the Creative Skillset Tick, the industry mark of quality, by experts working in the creative industries. This accolade is awarded to practice-based courses which best prepare students for a career in the industry.
What will you study
You will learn everything you need to know about the publishing industry, from its structure, the production processes involved, including commissioning titles, editing copy and branding issues, to how to market the title and ensure dissemination. You will attend masterclasses by leading publishers and publishing professionals to keep you up to date with industry developments. You will also develop and demonstrate your analytical skills and competence through discussions, assignments and the culminating dissertation or practical project.
Information for international students
All non-UK applicants must meet our English language requirements. For this course it is Academic IELTS of 6.5 overall, with 7.0 in Writing. Please make sure you read our full guidance about English language requirements, which includes other qualifications we'll consider: http://www.kingston.ac.uk/international/studying-at-kingston/language-requirements/
Fees and funding
Please see www.kingston.ac.uk/postgraduate/fees-and-funding/ for further details.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Admissions team
- 08448 544972/+44 (0)20 3308 9929