- Recommendation letters
- TOEFL IBT (minimum 80) exam scores
- GRE exam scores (minimum 156 with BA degree and 154 with MA degree)
- Transcripts (minimum GPA of 3.00 out of 4.00)
- Statement of purpose
Months of entry
The purpose of the Sociology Department at Koç University is to give students the necessary skillset they need to be able to critically analyze the social life and societies of their time. In accordance with the university’s philosophy of liberal education, students will also develop beneficial analytical and cognitive skills that they can use in different areas after their graduation.
The purpose of the PhD program in Sociology is to give students a solid foundation in the main concepts, theoretical approaches and research methods of sociology. The education provided by the main courses is supported by elective courses. The elective courses focus on a variety of subjects, such as media and communication, sociology of the family, child development, sociology of education, cultural studies, race and ethnicity studies, urban sociology, development theory and political sociology, that reflect on the areas of expertise of the faculty.
• Migration • Gender Studies • Media and Health Behavior and Development Communication • Design and Evolution of Health Communications and Women • Literacy, Media Literacy and the formation of Social Capital • Media and Environmentalism • Cultural Transformation and Modernization • Social Movements • Identity Issues • Popular Culture • Formation and Maintenance of Racial, Gendered and National Identities • Citizenship • Urban Citizenship • Urban Regeneration • Urban Poverty • Social Exclusion
Information for international students
There is no separate application process for the full scholarship. You apply to the program and if admitted will be offered the full scholarship. The program is taught in English and there are a full range of student support services for our international students.
Fees and funding
KU Graduate Fellowship
KU Graduate Fellowship is a unique and highly competitive MA and PhD scholarship opportunity for outstanding applicants. Candidates having outstanding academic record and/or having high impact scientific publications are considered for KU Graduate Fellowship.
- Monthly stipend
- Full tuition waiver
- Free furnished housing nearby campus or housing aid
- Private health insurance
- Travel awards
- Other benefits
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time48 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Global Recruitment Team