Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
This Masters by Research will be based within Lancaster University’s Engineering Departments, however there is an element of Chemistry to the research. Therefore applicants should have either a first class or a 2:1 degree in Engineering (or a related discipline). The Graduate Researcher will be supervised by Professor Allan Rennie in Engineering and Dr John Hardy in Chemistry.
Months of entry
Get paid to do a Masters with the Centre for Global Eco-Innovation at Lancaster University and My Medical Mask
- Get paid £16,000 tax-free
- Have your tuition fees reduced. Your partner company pays £2,200 towards your fees, meaning students eligible for home fees pay only £2,300. International students will need to pay the remaining £20,050.
- Be part of the multi award winning Centre for Global Eco-Innovation within a cohort of talented graduates working on exciting business-led R&D.
- The Centre is based at Lancaster University, so you will gain your Masters from a Top Ten University, recognised as The Sunday Times University of the Year 2018 and International University of the Year 2020.
- Finish in a strong position to enter a competitive job market in the UK and overseas or progress on to further study.
Developing fully biodegradable medical-grade respiratory protection equipment
The use of masks and visors in the Covid-19 epidemic has identified a need for a way to communicate with patients who rely on lip-reading and use facial expression to support communication; this includes people who are deaf, have a learning disability, autism, dementia and other client/patient groups. However, respiratory and PPE currently used in the healthcare sector is primarily single use and generating millions of tonnes of waste per year.
Therefore this 1 year Masters by Research project aims to research and test fully biodegradable transparent materials and then use the resultant material to develop and design medical-grate transparent reusable face masks. The aim is to then collaborate with a national PPE & one international mask manufacturer to incorporate researched materials to produce prototypes masks for testing Finally the project will then test the medical-grade mask protypes for FFP3 equivalent capabilities.
Enterprise and Collaborative Partners
My Medical Mask is a clinician-led PPE provider in the UK. My Medical Mask LTD was set up during Covid-19 pandemic with a vision to create reusable and biodegradable alternatives to current RPE and PPE. They focus on the research and manufacture of reusable & biodegradable medical grade gowns and masks to significantly reduce environmental waste and associated costs.
Start: October 2021
Deadline: Midnight Thursday 12th August 2021
For details on the application process and to apply click here
Information for international students
For information on home/international fee eligibility please see the university fee status webpage
Fees and funding
This project is part funded by the European Regional Development Fund and is subject to funding confirmation.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- The Centre for Global Eco-Innovation