Normally a good honours degree, which need not necessarily be in music, with an upper 2nd (2:1) classification or equivalent.
Through the APEL process, professional excperience equivalent to a good honours degree can be considered.
For international applicants, a British Council English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.0 with 5.5 in each part of the test may be required, or another equivalent SELT.
All suitable applicants are invited for phone interview and / or audition. Normally overseas applicants will be interviewed by phone and domestive applicants called to an audition in Leeds.
All applicants invited to an audition or an interview must send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org at least one week prior to attending the audition / phone interview.
A written submission in English outlining your intended direction of study.
This should outline any relevant musical experience you have acquired, and how the course might support your professional development, and should be no longer than 500 words.
An example of critical writing.
This should be a piece of academic written work in the English language, which could be an essay or other piece of extended writing with bibliograph and citations where appropriate. This should be between 1000-2000 words.
For the audition, as appropriate to your practice, you will be expected to prepare 15 minutes of live, recorded or scored music to be performed/shared through audio/video playback and/ or discussed (i.e. if scores are not yet performed). If you wish, you may prepare a mixture of performance/playback/ portfolio work lasting 15 minutes.
At least one week in advance of the phone interview you will be expected to provide weblinks to view or download examples of your music, i.e. Soundcloud, Vimeo, YouTube, Issuu, Dropbox, etc. These might be filmed recordings of live performances, pdf files of your scores or audio of your compositions. Linked examples should total no more than 15 minutes.
Months of entry
The MMus/PgDip Creative Musician is a practice led course, which allows you to focus on different creative specialisms from one semester to the next.
Bespoke guidance from expert practitioners will enable you to achieve your individual goals and develop a critically informed sense of what makes your music unique and marketable.
The course is assessed by a combination of music (roughly two thirds) and academic research (roughly one third). Each trimester, students are able to request that their tuition incorporate one or more of the following specialisms: composition, performance and production. Students then choose to be assessed either through recorded/ scored work submitted as a portfolio, or by live performance or installation.
Whatever your instrument or specialism, you will bring your abilities into a community of dedicated peers that encompass many genres and fields. You will develop as a musician through a mixture of individual tutorials, seminars, group performances, peer-to-peer discussion, masterclasses and self-directed study. Individual tuition can be timetabled to suit your schedule, and group taught sessions are held on Thursdays.
Postgraduate students have the opportunity to meet industry guests from across the spectrum, with recent guests including Grammy nominated producer Will Hicks, international concert pianist Sarah Beth-Briggs, film composer Harry Escott and Sony recording artist Josephine Oniyama. Students also benefit from one-to-one professional mentorship from acclaimed artists such as Ivor Novello award winning songwriters Iain Archer and Simon Aldred, acclaimed author and experimental musician David Toop, and British Composer Award winner Kerry Andrew.
Our previous postgraduate students have received comissions, performed at regional and international festivals, progressed to teaching position, and created public installations.
Information for international students
Normally a good honours degree in Music or a related subject, with an upper 2nd (2:1) classification or equivalent. Professional experience can be taken into account as part of the applications process and all suitable applicants are invited for interview and/or audition. All international students must note our Secure English Language Testing (SELT) requirements below.
English as a foreign language:
Applicants whos first language is not English will be required to provide acceptable evidence of their English language proficiency, as will students who require a Tier 4 Visa to study.
The two accepted English tests for Tier 4 visa purpses are IELTS for UKVI (Academic) and Trinity College London Integrated Skills in English (Trinity ISE). Please use these as our entry requirement guidelines even if you do not require a visa. Below is the necessary score in the accepted tests:
- IELTS for UKVI (Academic): Score 6.0 overall with a minimum score of 5.5 in each part of the test.
- Trinity College London (Integrated Skills in English, levels II or III): Take both modules (Reading & Writing and Speaking & Listening) in one sitting, and pass both.
English language tests for visa purposes can only be taken at approved test centres, and not every centre advertising these tests is approved. Please not that Trinity ISE exams can only be taken in the UK.
Students who require a Tier 4 Visa are strongly advised to check all English language requirements on the UK Visas and Immigration website.
MMus Creative Musician (Full time): £14500 tuition fee
PGDip Creative Musician (Full TIme): £9670 tuition fee
Fees and funding
MMus Creative Musician (Full time): £9300 tuition fee
PGDip Creative Musician (Full TIme): £6200 tuition fee
Alumni Discount: A discount of 10% is available to students who have completed an Undergraduate degree at LCoM and who subsequently proceed to the MMus.
Other Course Costs: Further costs which you may need to budget for, include books, stationery, printing, binding, storage devices for backing up work, instrument maintenance/insurance and general subsistence on trips and visits.
PLEASE NOTE: when asked 'Where do you plan to study' - please select LEEDS CITY COLLEGE from the drop-down list.
(This is because Leeds College of Music is a subsidiary of Leeds City College and Government rules will only allow the parent institution to be listed for student finance purposes. This does no affect your course details or any aspect of the provision)
Student Loans for Masters Level study are available for 2017 entry. You can read more information at: https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan.
- You can apply for a Postgraduate loan if you are a UK or EU national, normally living in England, and have been living in the UK for the three years prior to the start of the course. (ie. not students who normally live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland).
- If you are an EU national who has been living in the EEA or Switzerland you may be eligible.
- The residence requirements are complex - please read the criteria before applying.
- Applicants must be aged under 60 on 1st September 2017.
- The loans are available for the full-time MMus only - not PGDip.
- The loans are not available to the those who already hold an equivalent level qualification.
- The maximum amount available is £10,000 for the whole course. The amount is not means tested.
- The loans are paid in three instalments, directly to the student, to use towards fees or living costs. (it is not a tuition fee loan - you can use it for either fees or living costs).
- Repayments will be under income contingent repayment terms. You will repay at the rate of 6% of your income above the threshold which will be £21,000 per year, until at leasy 2019/2020.
- Repayments will be concurrent with any undergraduate loan you already have, which ar repaid at 9% above the threshold, so if you have both types of loan, you will repay 15% of your income above the threshold in total.
- There will be interest added to the loan, which will accrue at the rate of Retail Price Inflation plus 3%.
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written/ formal examinations||32|
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0113 222 3400