Course specific entry requirements available at: International Relations
Months of entry
International Relations Specialisations
Leiden University’s Master’s in International Relations provides you with the contextual knowledge and analytical ability to study and comprehend the vast diversity and complexity of our rapidly changing world. Our MA programme offers a specialisation in International Studies, and a European Union Studies specialisation that are unique in the Netherlands.
- In European Union Studies we offer the only general MA-level study of the European Union in the Netherlands. It is an interdisciplinary programme in which you will concentrate on issue that make up the core concern of European integration.
- Our interdisciplinary International Studies is anchored within the humanities. We bridge the gap between relations among states (international relations), and developments within states. We look beyond the well-known policies and institutions of the Western world, and take very seriously the cultures, ideas and beliefs that underlie the current processes of global change.
In both programmes we offer a combination of fresh theoretical insights and practical knowledge and experience, giving ideas and beliefs the place they deserve in European and global politics.
Six reasons to choose International Relations in Leiden:
- We focus on current global and regional issues, which provides you with the knowledge and the analytical abilities to study and comprehend the diversity and complexity of today’s rapidly changing world;
- We give you the option of either focusing on core issues of the European integration process or of going beyond the Western world and studying other parts of the world;
- We believe that ideas matter! The curriculum takes seriously the ideas and beliefs that underlie contemporary political changes;
- Our two specialisations avoid theory for the sake of theory, but offer instead a challenging mix of theoretical knowledge and practical experience provided by specialist, academic researchers and experts with direct experience in policy-formulation and policy-making;
- We are the only university in the Netherlands to offer this wealth of area specialists and the extensive range of contacts among national and international government and non-government institutions. Close to The Hague, the legal capital of the world, we benefit from the proximity to the material and human resources concentrated in a centre of government.
- Upon graduation, you may have access to the prestigious MA in International Affairs at the School of Advanced International Studies of Johns Hopkins University, Bologna.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- International Studyline Team