Course specific entry requirements are available at http://en.mastersinleiden.nl/programmes/astronomy/nl/introduction
Months of entry
The Leiden Master’s programme in Astronomy focuses on knowledge and understanding of:
- the origin, structure and evolution of galaxies, including processes within the nuclei of the galaxies and the universe of which they are a part;
- stars, including the interstellar medium, circumstellar gas and dust, and planetary systems.
These objectives are reached through courses and research projects which offer you knowledge and insight, and ways in which various topics are interrelated. The research projects allow you to focus on aspects of current research by our staff members.
The Master’s programme will teach you to analyse and evaluate scientific information independently and critically, and to conduct academically sound research. Specialisation is possible by conducting your major research project in either theory, observation or instrumentation, or some combination of these. Naturally, your choice of courses will also depend on the specialisation you prefer.
Reasons to choose Astronomy in Leiden
- The Leiden Astronomy Department (the ‘Sterrewacht’) has a strong international reputation, and it is widely known to turn out graduates and PhDs of the highest quality.
- Research at the cutting edge of modern astronomy is an integral part of the MSc programme. Research students graduate with a broad knowledge of astronomy and astrophysics.
- The Observatory provides a thoroughly international atmosphere. It has access to the foremost observing facilities in the world. Many students, postdocs and staff come from abroad.
- The very favorable student-staff ratio guarantee students a high degree of interaction with and personal attention from the senior staff.
- The Observatory provides a very congenial, informal atmosphere, in which social activities flourish.
- The Leiden programme is particularly appreciated for its emphasis on the interface between observation and theory: interpretation, modeling and simulation.
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- International Studyline Team