You will need:
- a minimum 2:1 honours degree in a performing arts-related subject
- a minimum three years professional training or significant musical theatre experience with demonstrable creative potential and critical thinking assessed through interview/audition and written submission
- to demonstrate that you have sufficient knowledge to embark on and complete the programme so you should provide evidence of your learning capability, study opportunity and commitment
- All applicants will be interviewed. Please refer to the Application and selection section below for further information about what to prepare and the interview.
- RPL is accepted on this programme
- IELTS 6.5 (minimum 5.5 in each component)
- Pearson PTE Academic 64 (minimum 59 in each component for UKVI purposes)
- You will be interviewed for this programme
If you have any specific queries, please contact email@example.com
Months of entry
Participate in an annual festival of performance and scholarship titled “Adventures In Musical Theatre”
- Join a passionate community of musical theatre scholars and artists
- Participate in an annual festival of performance and scholarship titled “Adventures in Musical Theatre”
- Benefit from a highly flexible, student-centred curriculum and delivery structure, with an emphasis on learning through creative risk and play
- Take advantage of opportunities to include current work-based activity or undertake a placement
- Enjoy access to a wide network of local, regional, national and international partners
The MA Musical Theatre seeks to develop your mastery of musical theatre craft, alongside current, relevant critical enquiry and scholarship. The programme focuses on the question: “what constitutes excellence in musical theatre”
At the heart of the programme's work is an exploration of craft in creative processes and a belief that rigorous critical enquiry and best creative practice are inextricably linked. It aims to champion new work and new ways of working, and celebrates the unique expressive opportunities and appeal of the musical.
With a unique ideology and appeal, the degree embraces not only the commercial musical theatre of Broadway and the West End but more experimental work, alongside other recognised forms such as cabaret, burlesque, melodrama, drag, and pantomime. The degree also provides a specific focus for the study of the British musical and its artists.
During your studies you will learn to apply knowledge and understanding with originality and creativity for the re-interpretation of received assumptions regarding musical theatre performance. You will also gain the confidence to work creatively, collaboratively and collectively with musical theatre makers who possess varying levels of experience and styles.
To develop your own creative practice as a musical theatre artist, you will learn how to effectively and appropriately employ a range of research methodologies and critical perspectives, including the ability to interrogate, evaluate and explore Musical Theatre ‘texts’ and processes. For students who wish to develop an entrepreneurial approach and set up their own theatre company, this MA will enable you to explore performance and event creation utilising organisational and managerial skills and industry knowledge.
"This course enables students to develop their skills in musical theatre to an expert level through conversations and experiments with faculty and colleagues. Students with various backgrounds and specialties, such as choreographers, directors, writers, and composers, gather to establish a community, work in projects together, inspire each other, and create synergy. While you follow the module structure and enjoy an academic journey, you will also develop your personal interests and specialties, as well as being able to focus on an area where you would like to pursue deeper expertise. As an international student, I was given multiple opportunities to test my unique ideas, derived from my cultural background, in writing musical scripts. In addition, I could expand my critical thinking in the frameworks that the course provides."
Eyoon Jang, Graduate (South Korea)
Information for international students
Please note: All international qualifications are subject to a qualification equivalency check via NARIC.
Contact LJMU's International Admissions Team for guidance on visa information. Further information is also available from our international web pages.
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090