- Good Honours degree (classification 2:1 or above) in English, Writing or a cognate subject.
- Applicants who demonstrate professional skills and evidence of achievement in a related area without formal qualifications will also be considered.
- We place particular emphasis on both the portfolio and the interview. The above requirements may be waived if a portfolio shows promise.
- Please refer to the Application and selection section for further information on the application and interview process.
- IELTS English language requirement: 6.5 (Minimum 6.0 in each component)
Months of entry
This Writing MA from LJMU will provide you with the opportunity to read, write, reflect and develop your identity as a writer.
- Study on a unique programme providing lectures, discussion and detailed peer critique workshops
- Learn from published writers including LJMU staff and visiting writers
- Enjoy strong links with the creative writing industry
This unique programme will help you to learn about writing, develop your own writing style and practice, share ideas with teachers and peers, develop a contemporary and traditional foundation in creative writing, find a creative voice of your own. Read about the Programme Leader, Prof Catherine Cole in this meet the professor's feature.
The programme explores the process of writing from first inspiration to final draft and publication and reflects the need for writers to keep up-to-date with advances in contemporary publishing. You will benefit from the close study of writerly techniques and strategies, develop your work to a professional standard and gain access to professional practitioners, such as visiting novelists, poets and screenwriters as well as editors and publishers. In this way your work will be able to thrive in the wider world.
Although you will be encouraged to explore a number of genres of writing across the programme, you will be free to specialise in any genre. Workshops form the heart of the course, sharing your work, developing your editing skills, defining and enhancing your identity as a writer.
Other activities involve reading as a writer, as well as meeting representatives from industry. These further develop the programmes aim of finding the best ways for you to advance and perfect your writing.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090