Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You will need:
- a minimum 2:1 degree (or recognised equivalent). Strong applicants with a 2:2 will be considered if they have significant school experience prior to application
- a demonstrable interest in and enthusiasm for teaching within the primary age range. You could show this in a number of ways – time spent in schools, knowledge of the curriculum, relevant practical experience. A minimum of 10 days’ work experience in an educational setting engaging with children within the appropriate age range is required prior to interview
- GCSE English Language, Mathematics and Science at grade 4/C (or above) or equivalent qualifications – level 2 numeracy and literacy are not acceptable
- RPL is not accepted on this programme
- IELTS score 7.0 (Minimum 6.5 in each component)
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a selection event
- If you accept a formal offer from LJMU you will be required to meet the Department for Education’s standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children
- You are required by the Department for Education to undertake Professional Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy prior to entry to this programme. Successful completion of the Professional Skills Tests will form part of the conditions of any offer of a place. Further details can be found on the Get into Teaching website
If you have any specific queries, please contact email@example.com
Months of entry
Become an outstanding Primary teacher at LJMU. Graduate with a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for the 5-11 age range.
- Prepare for a career as an innovative and creative teacher of 5-11 year olds
- Enjoy placements supported by excellent teacher mentors
- Qualify with a Postgraduate Diploma in Education featuring 120 Masters-level credits (ours is one of the few ITT courses to offer this) and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for the same cost and length of study as a PGCE
- Spend 120 days on school placement, predominantly in a ‘Home School’
- Go on to complete your MA in your first year of employment and look forward to excellent career development opportunities
Our PGDE Primary programmes are designed to prepare you for a career as an innovative and creative teacher. You will be trained by highly experienced academic staff and school mentors.
Our emphasis is on developing teachers who are reflective practitioners able to apply a deep understanding of the curriculum, learners and learning to provide the very best and most appropriate learning opportunities for all children, with a positive impact on their development and achievement.
Information for international students
Please note: All international qualifications are subject to a qualification equivalency check via NARIC.
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time10 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090