You will need:
- a minimum a 2:2 honours degree (some Lead Schools will require a 2:1)
- GCSE Grade 4/C or equivalent in English, Maths and Science for Primary teaching and English and Maths for Secondary teaching
- a demonstrable interest in teaching within the curriculum area/age range. You could show this in a number of ways – time spent in schools, knowledge of a chosen curriculum area, relevant practical experience
- RPL is not accepted on this programme
- IELTS score 7.0 (Minimum 6.5 in each component)
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a selection event
- A minimum of 10 days’ work experience in a UK Primary or Secondary school is normally required prior to commencing the programme. We can help to arrange this for successful applicants
- All offers are conditional on applicants meeting the Department for Education’s standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children with a satisfactory Enhanced DBS Disclosure
- You are required by the Department for Education to undertake Professional Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy prior to entry to this programme. Successful completion of the Professional Skills Tests will form part of the conditions of any offer of a place. Further details can be found on the Get into Teaching website
If you have any specific queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Months of entry
Take the school-centric School Direct route into Secondary teaching with LJMU and gain Qualified Teacher Status and invaluable classroom experience.
Train within a school setting and be involved in school life from the first day of term
Choose from Primary or Secondary teacher training routes (see Details tab for more information)
Follow a curriculum developed and delivered in partnership with outstanding local schools
Learn from expert teachers
Prepare for a career as an innovative and creative teacher in one of LJMU's excellent partner Lead Schools
School Direct is a route into teaching featuring a school-centred approach. Bursaries are available on the programme, depending on your degree classification and subject area. Training includes substantial time spent in school led by outstanding teachers.
School Direct is offered via a series of school consortia, each with a Lead School which works with LJMU to develop their training programme. As each School Direct programme is unique, you are advised to check full details of training and requirements with the Lead School.
Information for international students
Please note: All international qualifications are subject to a qualification equivalency check via NARIC.
Contact LJMU's International Admissions Team for guidance on visa information. Further information is also available from our international web pages.
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090