Candidates should be well-qualified in their chosen field and possess a business related Masters degree (e.g. MBA) or equivalent qualification supplemented with sufficient recent business and management experience appropriate to the research being undertaken. The admission process requires an initial proposal for subsequent investigation. An IELTS score of 6.5 is required for participants for whom English is a second language.
Months of entry
The Doctor of Business Administration, Engineering and Technology is designed to develop senior managers who work in the broad fields of engineering and technology, by improving specialist business management skills through research and its application in a professional setting.
- The only Doctoral level programme of its kind in the UK to merge business research with engineering and technology.
- Be part of a rigorous academic environment for the investigation of current and future engineering and technology issues.
- Make significant contributions to the development of original research.
- Develop key skills in project management, teamwork, research, leadership, and change management.
- Opportunities to engage with an independent mentor from your area of professional practice.
The DBA takes between 3-7 years to complete, and during this time you will participate in workshops, lectures, seminars, action learning sets and tutorials.
To ensure your research is on track, you will receive one-to-one supervision, remotely and face-to-face, and you will be expected to undertake the necessary amount of self-directed study. All students will have access to a dedicated mentor from industry as well as the supervisor. The mentor will be available remotely or face-to-face to discuss your progress on the programme and will be independent, giving you a chance to discuss ideas and issues outside the DBA.
The DBA has two levels: Masters and Doctoral, with a total of 540 credits.
The Masters level comprises 180 credits, and participants already possessing an appropriate and relevant Masters degree, ideally an MBA, may enter the programme at level 8 having gained credit transfer as part of the admissions process. The programme at Doctoral level comprises 360 level 8 credits, all of which must be completed successfully to obtain the award of Professional Doctorate. The level 8 credits will take a minimum of 3 years to complete, although it is likely that most participants will take between 4 and 5 years to complete.
What you will study on this degree Please see guidance below on core and option modules for further information on what you will study.
- Business Leadership
- Project Management
- Managing Finance
- Marketing Management
- Managing Process and Operations
- Research Methods for Management
- Strategic Management
- Planning Module
- Investigative Project
- Reflective Module
The following option modules are typically offered:
- Change and Knowledge Management
- MBA in Executive Leadership Dissertation
- Managing Information
- MBA Executive Leadership Impact Project
- MBA in Executive Leadership Thesis
Information for international students
LJMU will be awarding a range of generous international scholarships for students enrolling at the University in September. Please contact LJMU’s International Team by visiting www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/international-students for more information and advice.
Fees and funding
Please contact Faculty of Engineering and Technology:
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090