Entry requirements (Home)
The standard entry requirements are:
- At least a lower second honours degree, or equivalent, in either an Engineering discipline, Physics, Mathematics or Computer Science
- Applicants who hold at least a lower second honours degree, or equivalent, in another discipline which contains significant numerical and analytical content will be considered . Holders of such degrees might like to make informal contact with the programme team prior to application
- We will also consider applications from individuals who may not hold any of the above qualifications but have significant relevant experience in the field or a related area. Anyone considering an application on such a basis should contact the programme team in the first instance for an informal discussion and advice
Entry requirements (International)
Applicants from non-English speaking countries outside of the EU must possess a current IELTS qualification at least at 6.0. If you have completed a programme at another UK university within the last 2 years you are exempt from this requirement. .
If you have applied to study a full-time taught Masters, MRes, MPhil or PhD at LJMU, you should check if you require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme or ATAS certificate. It can take four to six weeks to receive an ATAS certificate, so please make sure you apply as early as possible. You can find out more on the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website. Alternatively, contact LJMU’s International Admissions Team for guidance. Please note: international students entering on a Tier 4 visa cannot study part time. Students entering the UK on alternate types of visa may be in a position to study part time. Please contact LJMU’s International Admissions Team for further details before making your application. In order to obtain a visa you will also need to show evidence that the money required to cover your tuition fees and living expenses has been in your bank account for at least 28 days prior to submitting your visa application. So please make sure that your finances are in place before applying. For more details, go to our international website.
For advice on any aspect of the application process, please contact LJMU’s International Admissions Team.
Months of entry
Completing this Masters degree at Liverpool John Moores University will give you the knowledge and practical skills to become a specialist in Unmanned Aerial Vehicles or UAVs.
- Complete this masters degree in one year full time
- Secure understanding of legal and regulatory frameworks
- Gain the expertise to exploit this exciting new technology in a wide range of industries in the UK, Europe and around the world
- Curriculum informed by ongoing research in drone technology
This taught masters degree will give you the practical, theoretical and regulatory knowledge to lead and undertake all aspects of the implementation and operation of UAV systems within a commercial enterprise in a safe, efficient and legal manner.
You will also secure essential practical skills in constructing, flying and operating drone systems. You will build your own, professional standard, multi-rotor drone system; test fly this system and then use it for practical assignments during the programme, including undertaking a research dissertation project. At the end of the course you can take your drone system with you and use as part of your career.
In today’s world, to be commercially successful in drone applications, you must be safe and operating totally with the aviation law. That’s why the programme includes a specialist module on UAV Operations and the Law. Not only will you know the legal and regulatory framework, more importantly you will learn how to interpret it so that you can design complex and challenging UAV operations within the current legal and regulatory framework.
Information for international students
International applicants are required to demonstrate equivalent qualifications to the standard requirements for entry when applying for courses at LJMU.
Students must also demonstrate a proficiency in communicating through English, for example via an IELTS tests or equivalent.
Please note: UK visa restrictions mean that international students are only permitted to study on a full-time basis.
Please contact LJMU’s International Team for more information and advice.
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090