Applicants for MPhil or MPhil/PhD should normally hold, or be expecting to obtain, a first or upper second-class Bachelor’s honours degree in a relevant subject; those applying for PhD direct must hold a Masters degree with a research dissertation in a relevant subject, and have had research training directly related to the PhD project. Applicants holding qualifications other than those above will be considered on their merits. Appropriate research and previous experience will be taken into account. International students must also hold an IELTS qualification of at least 6.5 or equivalent. Please note that some faculties may require higher scores in individual parts of the test. Applicants are advised to check this with the relevant faculty before applying. Please note that because of UK visa restrictions, international students wishing to come to the UK to study may only do so on a full time basis. However, if you are interested in doing a part time research degree programme under some circumstances you may be able to do this from your own country and come to LJMU for short periods of approximately 6 weeks each year. International students wishing to apply for research degree programmes in the following subjects will require ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme) clearance: •Civil engineering •Computer science •General engineering •Transport logistics •Electrical and electronic engineering •Mechanical engineering All research degree registrations are subject to approval by the Faculty and University’s Research Degrees Committee.
Months of entry
January, December, November, October, September, August, July, June, May, April, March, February
At a glance:
- Minimum study of 1 year full time, with a maximum of 6 years if completed part time
- Complete research degrees (MPhil / PhD) in Faculty conducting internationally-acclaimed research
- Research scholarships available - eligibility criteria apply
- Expert supervision and researcher training
- Excellent labs and facilities plus industry connections
Supervision arrangements and progression monitoring
All registered research students are allocated an appropriately experienced supervision team of either 2 or 3 supervisors who work as a team with the student. One of these supervisors is appointed as Director of Studies with responsibility to supervise the student on a regular and frequent basis.
Progression monitoring is undertaken both formally and informally by the supervision team on an ongoing basis. Each Faculty has procedures in place to monitor the progress of their research students. On an annual basis the University Research Degrees Committee will ask Faculties to monitor progress of all eligible postgraduate research students and provide a summative report to the Research Degrees Committee.
Registration Periods and Programme Routes
MPhil and PhD awards are offered on either a full-time or part-time basis. The minimum and maximum registration periods for each programme route are as follows:
- Full Time: minimum 12 months, maximum 24 months
- Part Time: minimum 24 months, maximum 48 months
PhD (via progression from MPhil registration and including the period of MPhil registration)
- Full Time: minimum 33 months, maximum 48 months
- Part Time: minimum 45 months, maximum 84 months
PhD (direct route not via MPhil)
- Full Time: minimum 24 months, maximum 36 months
- Part Time: minimum 36 months, maximum 72 months
The programme route you are enrolled upon will depend upon your qualifications and experience. The majority of LJMU students initially register for MPhil/PhD and go on to complete their PhD via successful progression from MPhil.
The University offers a comprehensive Research Student Induction programme, together with a varied programme of generic skills training opportunities. Attendance at Research Student Induction is a compulsory condition of research degree registration. Examples of other current generic skills training opportunities are as follows:
- Advanced Presentation Skills
- Applying for Ethical Approval
- How to be an Effective Researcher
- Poster Presentation/Design
- Postgraduate Employability Skills
- Project Management
- Writing Skills including Creative Planning for Writing your Thesis
- Surviving the Viva
- Speed Reading
In addition to this individual Faculties offer subject-specific research training depending on individual students’ needs.
Information for postgraduate research students can also be found on the Graduate School web site.
The Faculty of Technology and the Environment achieved the following results in REF 2014:
- 94% of research from the School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences is considered as being of international importance or recognised internationally.
- 83% of research from LJMU’s School of the Built Environment is considered as being of international importance or recognised internationally.
- 95% of LJMU research in the Aeronautical, Mechanical, Chemical and Manufacturing Engineering category is considered world-leading or internationally important.
Supervision for the degrees of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is available in the following subject areas:
General Engineering Research Institute
- Coherent & Electro-Optics
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology
- Photonics in Engineering
- Electronic and Ultrasonic Engineering
School of the Built Environment
- Planning and Development
- Water and Wastewater Treatments
- Water Resources: Materials and Pavement Engineering
- Construction and Facilities Management
- Radio Frequency and Microwave Technologies for Environmental and Sustainable Technologies
- Renewable Energies and Zero Carbon Buildings
- Multi Biofuel from Waste
- Pollution Reductions
- Advance Wireless Sensors for Building and Structure Health Monitoring
- Supply Chain Management
- Recycling of Waste
- Environmental communications
- Non Invasive Sensors
School of Computing & Mathematical Sciences
- Critical Infrastructure System Protection
- Networked Appliances
- Network and Information Security
- Computer Game Technology
- Distributed and Autonomic Software Engineering
- Neural Computation and Statistics
- Artificial Intelligence
- Health and Social Care Informatics
School of Engineering, Technology and Maritime Operations
Mechanical Engineering and Materials Research including:
- Theoretical Modelling
- Computational Modelling
- Engineering Materials and Processing
- Mechanics of Biological Materials
- Sport and Biomedical Engineering
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
Electrical and electronic engineering, including:
- Electric Machines and Drives
Wireless Networks Research is predominantly conducted within the auspices of the Research Centre for Electrical and Electronic Engineering, which currently provides opportunities in the areas listed above.
In the area of Microelectronics the emphasis is on the research and development of new materials and quality assessment techniques for CMOS and Flash memory industry.
Electric Machines and Drives research caters for a variety of topics related to modelling and control of electrical machines, variable speed drives, and power electronic converters.
In the area of Wireless Networks the emphasis is on routing and scheduling protocols for secure information transmission.
Maritime, offshore, port terminal and logistics studies research includes:
- Safety and Security Assessment
- Port Terminal Operations and Optimization
- Asset Management
- Supply Chain Management
Particular research interests are in the areas of design and operation of large made-to-order engineering systems such as sea facilities, ships and offshore installations. Both engineering and management studies of such systems are included.
Information for international students
LJMU will be awarding a range of generous international scholarships for students enrolling at the University in September. Please contact LJMU’s International Team by visiting www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/international-students for more information and advice.
Fees and funding
Faculty Admissions Hub
Tel: +44(0) 151 231 2061
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090