Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- a minimum 2:2 honours degree (or recognised equivalent).
- a demonstrable interest in and enthusiasm for teaching within the primary age range. You could show this in a number of ways – time spent in schools, knowledge of the curriculum, relevant practical experience.
- GCSE English Language, Mathematics and Science at grade 4/C (or above) or equivalent qualifications – level 2 numeracy and literacy are not acceptable
- RPL is not accepted on this programme
- IELTS score 7.0 (Minimum 6.5 in each component)
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend a selection event
- If you accept a formal offer from LJMU you will be required to meet the Department for Education’s standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children
- Original evidence of GCSE English Language, Mathematics and Science grade 4/C or above or equivalent and your degree (if you have already graduated) will be required if you are successful and receive an offer of a place on the course. This will form part of your offer conditions.
Application and selection
Securing your place at LJMU
2022 Entry: Courses can be viewed on the government's Get into Teaching website from 5th October 2021, with applications opening 12th October 2021. Given the popularity of some specialisms and the limited number of places, we recommend applying as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
Applicants will be assessed for their:
- depth of relevant subject knowledge
- potential to work effectively at Masters level
- ability to work with others in teams
- ability to manage people and projects
Applicants will be expected to demonstrate:
- an interest and enthusiasm for their chosen subject area
- the ability to make learning exciting and meaningful to young people in a range of contexts
- commitment to supporting learners in areas of challenging social context
- enthusiasm and resilience
You should live within reasonable travelling distance of the University and our partner schools for the duration of the course.
Our selection events will comprise of an individual interview. Prior to interview, you will be required to complete and pass a Mathematics assessment for those applying for a specialism in Mathematics.
Full details of the interview process in each subject will be sent to you in advance of the selection event.
Prior to entry
You will need to meet the Department for Education’s standards for physical and mental fitness to teach and clearance to work with children. Further information, including a Declaration of Health questionnaire and details of how to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure, will be sent to you after you have firmly accepted an offer.
Months of entry
- Prepare for a career as an innovative and creative teacher of 3-7 year olds
- Enjoy placements supported by excellent teacher mentors
- Qualify with a Postgraduate Diploma in Education featuring 120 Masters-level credits (ours is one of the few ITT courses to offer this) and Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for the same cost and length of study as a PGCE
- Spend 120 days on school placement, predominantly in a ‘Home School’
- Go on to complete your MA in your first year of employment and look forward to excellent career development opportunities
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time10 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090