You would normally be expected to have a good honours degree (ie upper second or first) in Sport Science, Dietetics or Nutrition. However, applications are also welcomed from students with other relevant degrees and/or considerable applied experience. Practical applied experience in sports nutrition and/or an obvious desire to pursue a career in sports nutrition is essential. In addition, international students should hold IELTS English language at a minimum of 6.5 or equivalent.
Months of entry
The School of Sport and Exercise Science is home to world-leading research, and this Sport Nutrition Masters programme is taught by academics dedicated to developing scientific research into athlete-centred nutrition and extending our contemporary understanding of exercise metabolism.
- Complete this masters in one year (full time)
- A unique blend of theoretical science and applied skills taught by world leading academics engaged in nutritional consultancy with world leading sports organisations
- Staff currently provide nutrition support to Premiership Football, Super League Rugby League, European Rugby Union, professional golfers, professional jockeys, professional and amateur boxers, Team Sky Cycling, British Ski and Snowboard, Professional and Track Cycling, UK Anti Doping and many more
- Course mapped to the competencies outlined by the sports and exercise nutrition register (SENr), providing the required academic training to apply for professional accreditation
- ISAK body composition qualification
- Applied placement mentored by academic staff engaged in applied consultancy
We welcome applications from those who want to dedicate their postgraduate study to the application and advancement of athlete-centred practice and research application. At our world-leading School of Sport and Exercise Science, you will explore a philosophy of critical understanding in fundamental sport nutrition and exercise metabolism which will underpin your applied training modules. Leading-edge research and applied practice are central to our ongoing goals for your professional development.
To be a successful sport nutritionist we believe it is essential to study and understand classical and contemporary exercise metabolism research, and then translate this information into athlete-centered nutrition advice.
On successful completion of the course, you will understand how to deal with complex issues within nutrition, both systematically and creatively, and make sound judgements in the absence of incomplete data. You will also develop essential skills in communicating and implementing your recommendations for clients as well as specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Your tutors have extensive experience of delivering sports nutrition in a range of high level, professional and community sport organisations. These links provide excellent opportunities for research and applied placements where you can explore theory-to-practice links. To boost your employability after completing the course, you will be able to secure professional accreditation with ISAK providing you meet the required entrance qualifications.
Information for international students
LJMU will be awarding a range of generous international scholarships for students enrolling at the University in September. Please contact LJMU’s International Team by visiting www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/international-students for more information and advice.
Fees and funding
Please contact the Faculty of Science for up to date information regarding fees. The Faculty can be contacted by email at ScienceAdmissions@ljmu.ac.uk or telephone 0151 231 2888
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090