If you have an undergraduate degree: •Minimum classification required: 2.2 •Subject area(s): Biology, Conservation, Animal Behaviour, Zoology, Ecology •Plus you must provide a satisfactory reference from a suitable person, such as your employer or line manager If you have non-standard qualifications: •Experience is accepted on a case by case basis •If you do not have an honours degree in a relevant subject area your application may still be considered •Professional experience, publications, written reports, CPD activities and other suitable evidence of accomplishment will be taken into account •You will also be interviewed by the Programme Leader •Plus you must provide a satisfactory reference from a suitable person, such as your employer or line manager
Months of entry
Explore contemporary wildlife conservation on this Masters. The course is delivered by world-leading experts in wildlife conservation and UAV (aka drone) technology. You will be able to learn fieldskills during an overseas field trip and will have the opportunity to conduct your own conservation research project.
- Complete this masters degree in one year (full time)
- Delivered by world-leading experts in the field of wildlife conservation and drone technology
- LJMU is the only UK university to offer a Masters degree in cutting edge drone technology applications for wildlife conservation
- Overseas field trip to Tanzania included in the fees - this is a fantastic opportunity to observe chimpanzees in the wild. You will practice and develop advanced skills in behavioural observation, non-invasive sampling of health and welfare indicators and conservation monitoring*
- World-class teaching and laboratory facilities (including drone, genetics and GIS facilities)
- Opportunity to design and complete a wildlife conservation study abroad using the latest software packages, such as ArcGIS, R, and Distance
*The air fare, site accommodation and site costs are paid by Liverpool John Moores University. You will be required to meet other potential costs, such as field clothing, visas and immunisations if required.
This unique Masters course covers contemporary issues in wildlife conservation with a strong focus on providing you with a thorough understanding of the theoretical and practical skills you will need to become a professional in this exciting field.
You will develop an hypotheses-driven study based on the latest wildlife conservation literature.
Converting your idea for a study into a practical plan will involve:
- learning how to write a grant proposal (from funding experts)
- making a budget
- thinking through the logistical issues of conducting research in challenging environments
You will learn how to operate drones for wildlife conservation research and how to analyse the data obtained using these systems; providing you with a unique skillset.
The academic staff leading this course conduct research in this area. Your programme leaders uphold a wide range of international and national connections that can provide exciting opportunities for you during and after the course. You will have the opportunity to conduct fieldwork at international sites and make career-long connections.
We will also encourage you to become members of the learned societies, such as Society of Wildlife Conservation.
Information for international students
International applicants are required to demonstrate equivalent qualifications to the standard requirements for entry when applying for courses at LJMU.
Students must also demonstrate a proficiency in communicating through English, for example via an IELTS tests or equivalent.
Please note: UK visa restrictions mean that international students are only permitted to study on a full-time basis.
Please contact LJMU’s International Team for more information and advice.
Fees and funding
Please contact the Faculty of Science for up to date information regarding fees. The Faculty can be contacted by email at ScienceAdmissions@ljmu.ac.uk or telephone 0151 231 2888
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090