Entry requirements (Home)
In order to be considered for this course you should have:
- An honours degree in any subject area 2:2 or above.
- Experience in the field of HR, Training, Development or related area OR aspiring to a career in these areas.
- Industry experience recommended but not essential.
- Additional qualifications considered - Level 5 CIPD Intermediate standards.
International applicants are required to demonstrate equivalent qualifications and must also demonstrate a proficiency in communicating through English, via an IELTS test with a score of 6.0 ( 5.5 in each component) or equivalent.
Entry requirements (International)
LJMU welcomes applications from international students. In addition to normal entry requirements, you will be expected to demonstrate a very good level of English language competence, for example an IELTS score of 6.0-6.5 or equivalent. Please note: specific courses may require higher levels of English language competence. If you have applied to study a full-time taught Masters, MRes, MPhil or PhD at LJMU, you should check if you require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme or ATAS certificate. It can take four to six weeks to receive an ATAS certificate, so please make sure you apply as early as possible. You can find out more on the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) website. Alternatively, contact LJMU’s International Admissions Team for guidance. Please note: international students entering on a Tier 4 visa cannot study part time. Students entering the UK on alternate types of visa may be in a position to study part time. Please contact LJMU’s International Admissions Team for further details before making your application. In order to obtain a visa you will also need to show evidence that the money required to cover your tuition fees and living expenses has been in your bank account for at least 28 days prior to submitting your visa application. So please make sure that your finances are in place before applying. For more details, go to our international website.
For advice on any aspect of the application process, please contact LJMU’s International Admissions Team.
Months of entry
Housed within a CIPD-approved centre, this MA programme of study into human resource management concentrates on the practical application of knowledge, within different organisational contexts, in a range of business sectors and areas of operation.
- LJMU is a Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) approved centre - assessment is set internally, with external examiner approval
- Study full-time for one year or part-time (afternoons and evening or evenings-only over two years)
- Completion of the Programme results in the award of MA Human Resource Management and accreditation against the Knowledge requirements of the CIPD’s Advanced Diploma Level Standards
- Option to ‘top up’ your CIPD Level 7 Diploma from another university or college to a Masters degree
There is an emphasis on the need for human resource professionals to add value to their organisations and to develop throughout their career. This long established MA will develop your ability to apply advanced knowledge of HR into diverse environmental contexts, and to develop analytical and behavioural skills crucial when working in the profession.
The programme provides you with the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) Advanced (Level 7) Standards. On completion of the programme, student members upgrade to Chartered Member, evidencing experience, behaviours and academic achievement. Specialist modules in Resourcing and Talent Management, Managing Performance, Employment Relations and Organisational Development are supported by core modules in Strategy, Leadership and Business Context. Research methods underpin the Dissertation stage which involves a detailed personal piece of work supported by tutors and peers through dissertation workshops.
The programme is delivered in three ways to fit with your personal requirements.
- Full time normally involves three days, currently Monday, Tuesday and Thursday both semesters with occasional Dissertation workshops on Wednesdays in semester two (subject to change until the final timetable has been confirmed).
- Part time afternoon and evening option involves a part day (2.00pm start) plus an evening (8.00pm finish).
- Part-time evening only. Evening only study is from 5.30pm to 8.00pm on both Monday and Thursday evening.
The taught element of the programme is completed within one year full time and two years part time.
If you already have the CIPD’s Advanced Standards qualification and would like to gain a Masters degree, you can top up to Masters level. You will study the Research Methods for HR professionals module either one afternoon or evening each week from September to December and join the Dissertation workshop sessions on completion of your Research Proposal.
Information for international students
International applicants are required to demonstrate equivalent qualifications to the standard requirements for entry when applying for courses at LJMU.
Students must also demonstrate a proficiency in communicating through English, for example via an IELTS tests or equivalent.
Please note: UK visa restrictions mean that international students are only permitted to study on a full-time basis.
Please contact LJMU’s International Team for more information and advice.
Fees and funding
Please see the course page for more information.
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written/ formal examinations||40|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||30|
|Dissertation||30 (20000 words)|
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090