Applications to masters study will normally be considered in the light of their ability to meet the following criteria:
- A good first degree in a performing arts related subject
- A minimum of three years professional training or significant relevant musical theatre experience, accompanied by demonstrable creative potential and critical thinking assessed through interview/audition and written submission.
The above should demonstrate that the student has a sufficient level of knowledge to embark upon the programme (including the required linguistic competence) and to complete the programme within the required time limits. Students should provide evidence, in the view of assessors, of their learning capability, study opportunity and commitment to a postgraduate programme of study.
Months of entry
*subject to validation
The MA in Musical Theatre at LJMU has been designed for actors, directors, choreographers, MDs, composers, lyricists, librettist and teachers, to develop mastery of personal craft, by exploring creativity and advancing scholarship in musical theatre.
- Join a passionate community of musical theatre scholars and artists
- Participate in an annual festival of performance and scholarship titled “Adventures In Musical Theatre”
- Benefit from a highly flexible, student-centred curriculum and delivery structure, with an emphasis on learning through creative risk and play
- Take advantage of opportunities to include current work-based activity or undertake a placement
- A wide network of local, regional, national and international partners
This MA is an ‘adventure in musical theatre’, which will enhance the mastery of theatrical craft by helping you to define a personal methodology, style and approach to the relevant disciplines of Musical Theatre.
You will have the confidence to apply knowledge and understanding with originality and creativity for the re-interpretation of received assumptions regarding dominant traditions and practices of Musical Theatre performance. You will also gain the confidence to work creatively, collaboratively and collectively with musical theatre makers who possess varying levels of experience and styles. This degree ultimately aims to develop students into adaptive and flexible musical theatre professionals.
In order to develop your own creative practice as a Musical Theatre artist, you will learn how to effectively and appropriately employ a range of research methodologies and critical perspectives, including the ability to interrogate, evaluate and explore Musical Theatre ‘texts’ and processes. For students who wish to develop an entrepreneurial approach and set up their own theatre company, this MA will enable you to explore performance and event creation utilising organisational and managerial skills and industry knowledge.
Information for international students
LJMU will be awarding a range of generous international scholarships for students enrolling at the University in September. Please contact LJMU’s International Team by visiting our website for more information and advice.
Fees and funding
Please contact the Faculty of Arts, Professional and Social Studies:
- T: 0151 231 5175
- E: APSadmissions@ljmu.ac.uk
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- 0151 231 5090