About Public Health Institute
Research to shape policy and influence experience
Play your part in shaping public and environmental health provision for current and future generations by undertaking postgraduate study at LJMU’s Public Health Institute (PHI).
We are a vibrant research community addressing health issues at a local, regional and international level – it’s the international nature of our programmes that makes them truly outstanding.
Influencing health service design and delivery, as well as health related policy, PHI’s research has been at the forefront of the development of multi-agency strategies to promote and protect public health.
We are committed to this multi-disciplinary approach to public health and work with international organisations such as the World Health Organization, along with national bodies, such as the National Institute of Health Research, Department of Health, Home Office and National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
PHI turns information and data into meaningful and timely intelligence.
The Public Health Addictions programme at LJMU encouraged me to think critically about current debates in substance use and addiction. Throughout the course we explored the impact of current and past policies and research on health inequalities and the population’s health and wellbeing.Madeline Cochrane
Why choose postgraduate study at LJMU?
At the forefront of applied research, the Institute plays a significant role in the university’s research strategy and studying here enables you to experience applied public health research first hand.
As a postgraduate student, you can take part in a number of research networking events organised through the Institute, including postgraduate student-led seminars/presentations and public health focused seminars.
You’ll also have the opportunity to develop your research skills working alongside experienced senior academic staff in the institute. This might be as part of the dissertation project or as a work-related experience.
Facilities and support arrangements
The Public Health Institute is located in LJMU’s city centre campus. Here you’ll find the Avril Robarts library (open 24/7 during semesters), IT zones, high quality teaching facilities and lecture theatres plus a range of cafés and social spaces – all in the heart of the vibrant Liverpool city centre.
Research in action
The Public Health Institute has established itself as one of the UK’s leading applied research groups.
We offer expertise in a range of methodologies including epidemiology and statistics, qualitative research, participatory methods, systematic reviews and evaluation in the following areas:
- Drugs: Supporting evidence-based drugs policy through epidemiology, monitoring, evidence review, intervention evaluation and primary research.
- Alcohol: Evaluating interventions, reviewing evidence and delivering original research into alcohol consumption and harm across a range of populations and settings.
- International Public Health: Committed to improving health globally through collaborative, multidisciplinary research and education.
- Sexual Health and Reproductive Health: Providing intelligence, evaluation and research across a range of sexual and reproductive health related topics to support policy and service planning.
- Violence and Unintentional Injury: Supporting evidence-based violence prevention at local to global levels through original research, intelligence, evidence review and intervention evaluation.
- Intelligence and Surveillance: Providing data collection and monitoring systems to support public health reporting, evidence review, evaluation and research.
How to apply
International Public Health is a course that opens one’s eyes to other determinants of health, and the existing inequalities that exist between countries. The faculty is very supportive towards International students and always willing to help. My experience at LJMU has been wonderful, especially the lecturer/student relationship.Augusta Ojiyi MSc International Public Health
- Social media accounts