2:2 or above in a UK Bachelor's Honours degree or a recognised equivalent international qualification, in any subject. Students for whom English is not their first language must achieve a minimum score of 7 overall or equivalent with not less than 7.5 in listening/speaking and not less than 6.5 in writing and reading for IELTS [or TOEFL: 570 including 55 in the Test of Spoken English (TSE) and at least 5 in the Test of Written English (TWE)], at the time of application. OT Practice Visit and 1000 word report.
Months of entry
This post-graduate/masters occupational therapy course at LSBU is designed to enable graduates to develop the required competences, skills and standards of proficiency required to be eligible to apply for registration with the Health and Care Professions Council as an Occupational Therapist.
The accelerated design of the course allows the full time professional training to be condensed in be condensed into 2 years, rather than the traditional three year route. This experience acts as good preparation for entering the stimulating and evolving world of health and social care as a qualified member of the workforce.
A key feature of this course is the problem based learning approach which involves you working in a small group with a shared responsibility for meeting the learning outcomes for each module.
The course structure consists of six post-graduate modules, four placements. There is an optional module for the MSc award for those who achieve the required marks on first attempt on the first year modules.
During the course you are required to success complete over 1000 practice placement hours within a broad variety of health and social care settings; meeting the College of Occupational Therapists (2008) and the World Federation of Occupational Therapists (WFOT, 2002) requirements for registration.
After successful completion of either the Post Graduate Diploma or MSc award (including placements) you will be eligible to apply for registration as a qualified Occupational Therapist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
Please visit the online prospectus entry at www.lsbu.ac.uk for full details .
In addition to the appropriate academic qualifications and report, applicants will need to:
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication.
- Clearly explain reasons for choosing occupational therapy as professional career.
- Articulate their understanding of the role of the occupational therapist including the value base of the profession and in line with the NHS constitution.
- Have the potential to meet the professional demands of occupational therapy and the programme of study to be undertaken.
- Demonstrate due regard for dignity, respect for persons, confidentiality and equal opportunities in line with the NHS constitution.
- Reflect upon their life skills and the relevance to occupational therapy and the demands of the programme.
All students are required to fully engage with the mandatory skills training requirements of our professional bodies and statutory bodies on entry to comply with occupational health requirements and have an up to date immunisation record including hepatitis B.
We invite you to make a full but succinct personal statement that addresses the following points:
- Your choice of a career in occupational therapy.
- Your suitability for this specific course including small group learning and the demands of an accelerated route.
- The personal qualities you believe that you could bring to the programme and the profession.
Information for international students
We are able to offer a small number of places for individuals living outside the EU, but you will need to fund all course fees and living expenses. There may also be an additional charge for practice placements.
Fees and funding
Places on the course are funded by an NHS bursary, which, for eligible students, cover course fees and a means tested maintenance award. See NHS Student Bursaries for further information.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries Office
- +44 (0)20 7815 7815