Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- A 2(ii) or above Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of five years’ experience of working in hospitality, or hospitality-related organisations (for example in the health or school sector), in a professional hospitality capacity. This may include a range of roles at a senior level but is unlikely to include experience that is solely administrative unless this is at a senior level and the applicant has experience of staff management. Candidates may have experience of in-house teams and / or outsourced teams but must have worked in the public service environment.
- International students additionally require an English Language qualification, with an IELTS score of 6.5, or equivalent.
- Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL). All awards for APL will be in line with the University’s policy and current academic regulations. Applicants may be able to use their learning from work or other life experiences to gain academic credit towards their programme of study. Applicants need to demonstrate that their learning is equivalent to formal learning on the programme and produce satisfactory evidence. If an applicant has gained a qualification from a professional body or another institution this may be credited towards the University qualification via the transfer credit scheme.
Months of entry
This unique course is specifically for those supplying hospitality services to universities and public sector organisations such as hospitals, schools, colleges and prisons. Unlike most of the private sector caterers, these organisations have a loyal and long serving work force, and this degree is aimed at helping that workforce develop and grow their careers.
We take as our philosophy that ‘catering is not an appendage but an integral part of an organisation’s product and culture and, therefore, has an important role to play in helping that organisation achieve its corporate goals and establish an effective working culture.’ Staff need to be engaged with the wider organisation, enabled and empowered to be entrepreneurial and creative and be on top of the latest trends in food and residential services. To this end, students will share their good practice and insights from their working environment with each other and undertake a comparative residential study visit.
The hospitality industry is a demanding industry and the block system will permit students to be able to plan their work life one year in advance as the teaching dates get confirmed before the course starts.
Information for international students
International (non Home/EU) applicants should follow our international how to apply guide.
Fees and funding
For more information, including how and when to pay, see our fees and funding section for postgraduate students.
The University reserves the right to increase its fees in line with changes to legislation, regulation and any governmental guidance or decisions.
The fees for international students are reviewed annually and, additionally, the University reserves the right to increase tuition fees in line with the RPIX measure of inflation up to 4 per cent.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquirers Team
- 0800 923 8888