In order to be considered, applicants will be required to have the following qualifications:
- A recognised professional qualification which allows you to practise in one of the professions for which an award is specified: nursing, occupational therapy, optometry, physiotherapy, or radiography; or
- A health and social care profession which is recognised for registration with one of the health and social care professions councils in the UK [e.g. the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC); Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC); the General Medical Council (GMC); the General Optical Council (GOC)]; and
- A Masters degree in a relevant discipline and at least three full years full-time experience (or equivalent) in a relevant professional area; or
- A first or upper second class Honours degree in a relevant discipline and evidence of ability to produce work at masters level and at least four years of full-time experience (or equivalent) in a relevant professional area
- Applicants are required to have some previous knowledge of research methods, such as a research methods module, completed as part of previous degree.
Months of entry
Our programme has been developed for practitioners who are pursuing professional careers as consultant nurses or therapists, clinical specialists, advanced practitioners, practice development professionals, social workers, senior managers and leaders of healthcare.
We offer you the opportunity to develop advanced research skills and to apply them to professional practice issues through independent research. You'll have opportunity to make a significant contribution to professional practice and to improve service delivery and performance within your employing organisation and across the wider professions.
The doctorate comprises of a taught component in your first and second year, and a doctoral research component in your third to fifth year. The research study will culminate in a doctoral thesis specific to a profession or in the general area of health and social care. It leads to one of the following awards:
- Doctorate in Health and Social Care
- Doctorate in Nursing
- Doctorate in Occupational Therapy
- Doctorate in Optometry
- Doctorate in Physiotherapy
- Doctorate in Radiography
- Doctorate in Midwifery
- Doctorate in Social Work
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0) 20 7815 6100