A 2:2 honours degree (or equivalent international qualification) in any discipline.
Entry requirements for the Postgraduate Certificate and Postgraduate Diploma are as above. Alternatively entry to the PGCert may be considered depending on alternative qualification and relevant experience, on a case-by-case basis.
Months of entry
Our Water Management for Development (Distance Learning) programme is designed to develop careers managing water and environmental sanitation services for low- and middle-income countries. It is aligned with the programme of the same name taught at the Loughborough campus.
The programme is managed by the Water, Engineering and Development Centre (WEDC) in the School of Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering. The programme is delivered online from the IWSM portalL https://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/wedc/programmes/iwsm-portal/
WEDC programmes are well-established, and held in high regard by practitioners and employers from both international development and emergency sectors. Modules are taught by experts in a broad range of disciplines who have considerable experience of working in low- and middle- income countries.
This programme is designed to:
- provide the multidisciplinary knowledge and skills to coordinate, plan, manage and monitor water and environmental sanitation services, with a focus on low- and middle-income countries
- support the professionalization of the sector, through policy development, performance improvement, institutional reform, change management, benchmarking services and aiming for financial viability
- encourage a critical approach to the global principles and local practice of sustainable water and environmental management for the public good
- equip students with appropriate expertise and skills for relevant work in management of water and environmental sanitation for low- and middle-income countries
- encourage critical analysis through in-depth study of a specialist topic
Loughborough attracts and appoints outstanding academics, many of whom are expert leaders in their fields. By studying our International Water and Sanitation Management programme, you will benefit from working with specialists who are enthusiastic about their subjects and at the forefront of current research. Visit the WEDC website: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/wedc/
WEDC programmes are both externally accredited and highly regarded by sector employers. The structure of the programmes suits the needs of international students, and/or those who may be returning to study. There are introductory modules, and continuous and varied means of assessment enable students to monitor their progress.
The Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) have accredited all WEDC's postgraduate MSc, Diploma and Certificate programmes. Participants registered on one of these programmes at Loughborough are eligible for free student membership of CIWEM.
Why choose to study by Distance Learning
Distance learning enables you to learn new knowledge and develop skills whilst maintaining existing employment. This has a number of benefits to both you as a student and to your employer:
- you will be able to directly apply new skills and knowledge and thus reinforce your learning, and at the same time become a more valuable asset to your employer
- employers can maintain continuity and also develop their workforce
- you can learn and study flexibly and at your own pace, for up to a period of five years if you wish
- the cost of study is spread over a longer time period and can be paid on a module-by-module basis.
Our learning materials are carefully designed to be comprehensive and easy to follow. At the start of each module, students will be able to access these materials online and on a USB pen drive for portability. The online materials include:
- study guidance
- a set of highly illustrated self-study notes
- additional reading materials
- self-assessment questions and answers
- subject-specific references and texts.
Who should study this programme
This programme is for graduates who wish to develop careers in managing water and environmental sanitation services in low- and middle-income countries.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Enquiries
- +44(0)1509 228793