Applicants should have a first degree, normally at undergraduate level, with a grade of 2:1 or above.
Months of entry
The Master of Research programme is ideal for postgraduate students requiring training and experience of research methods prior to embarking upon a PhD. This intellectually challenging programme includes a range of units that study the elements of undertaking research. Underpinned by research and practitioner expertise, it is designed to prepare you for undertaking a PhD within your chosen discipline. However, you can also choose to step off the Master of Research (MRes) programme with a Postgraduate Certificate (PgCert) award after completing two units or a Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) award after completing four units. Modules will cover such areas as quantitative and qualitative methods, research design and philosophy of knowledge.
However, students can enrol upon the degree with the specific intention of obtaining the exit award of a Master of Research (Applied Research), this option will include a dissertation.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- apply skills of critical analysis to real world situations within a defined range of contexts
- demonstrate a high degree of professionalism characterised by initiative, creativity, motivation and self management
- express ideas effectively and communicate information appropriately and accurately using a range of media including ICT
- develop working relationships using teamwork and leadership skills, recognising and respecting different perspectives
- manage your professional development reflecting on progress and taking appropriate action
- find, evaluate, synthesise and use information from a variety of sources
- articulate an awareness of the social and community contexts within your disciplinary field
Attendance at the University for one day per week from September to Easter. From Easter until completion attendance depends on the research project.
This award allows students to exit with either MRes, PgDip or
PgCert. For the MRes, PgDip and PgCert you will complete the following units:
• Quantitative and Qualitative Methods
• Philosophy of Knowledge
For the MRes and PgDip you will complete these additional units:
• Specialist Research Unit
• Research Design
For the MRes you will also complete your dissertation.
On successful completion of the MRes you can undertake a PhD or you may follow a career in research and development work within an organisation. Alternatively, graduates will be able to obtain employment in a number of areas including higher and further education establishments, and in areas of employment where knowledge and use of research skills will be relevant. The programme also gives part-time students the opportunity to enhance professional progression within their current employment
Features and Benefits
•You will be assigned a personal tutor to support you throughout your studies
•Our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) will provide you with a wide range of learning resources
•Small study groups ensure individual attention and dedicated support
Information for international students
For more information to support your studies in the UK, including course details, how to apply, and living in the UK visit www.mmu.ac.uk/international