Ideally, students should be postgraduate or be able to demonstrate sufficient business experience to Manchester Metropolitan University Business School. A first year foundation course is available for those whose qualifications are not enough to gain immediate acceptance on the course. This will bring those students up to the required Master’s Degree entry level. The course is aimed at self-starters who possess a combination of skills, experience and ambition that provides the foundation for the role of Sport Director. You may already be working in the sporting environment e.g. medical, coaching, finance or marketing and are looking for the next crucial step in your sporting career. This role is appealing to you because you recognise it is the way forward in the modern game. Alternatively you may already be in a business role and be seeking to make a move into sport. For ex-players and sports professionals currently in management this course is a means to acquire the necessary business skills to take the step into the position of Sporting Director.
Months of entry
For the first time, you can now gain a fully accredited Masters degree that qualifies you for one of the most important roles in modern sport. The Masters of Sport Directorship (MSD) is a two year, part-time course that teaches a unique curriculum tailored to meet the real demands of leading sporting organisations.
The MSD teaches a unique curriculum tailored to meet the real demands of leading sporting organisations.
Exclusive to this course is the study of neuroscience and its application as a performance management tool, harnessing the power of the mind to enable and enhance achievement in sporting and business arenas.
Designed to fit on-campus and remote study around work commitments, the MSD equips sports and business professionals with all the skills and practical experience needed to take their next career step with confidence. Taught in five modules over two years, the course is designed to equip you with the necessary skills and knowledge to be a Sporting Director within a sports organisation.
Covering Sports Leadership and Personal Development, Enabling High Performance, Masterminding Innovation and Change, Sport Governance and best practice and Research Dissertation; alongside a diverse range of hands-on, extra-curricular activities, the course provides unrivalled preparation for the role of Sport Director.
Units on the programme will include the following themes:
• Personal Leadership to Shape, Inspire and Develop • Leading a High Performing Sports Organisation • Masterminding Innovation and Change • Sport Governance and Best Practice • Sporting Directorship in Practice (Dissertation) • Assessment
Features and Benefits
· Uniquely underpinning the course content is the science of performance management that ensures you get the best out of yourself and those around you. In the context of personal and organisational development, it can dramatically improve the performance of the Sport Director as a leader, coach and manager of people.
· With top-level connections into the sports world and members on the prestigious Advisory Board, both MMU Business School and VSI are perfectly positioned to not only bring fascinating and informative guest lecturers to share their experiences with you, but also as part of an elite alumni, you will have access to a network of elite sporting contacts.
· You will have the opportunity to network with other senior professionals and also be able to attend exclusive guest speakers from leading businesses.
· You will have the opportunity to become a member of the Institute of Sporting Directors.
· The programme combines expert content delivery from the Manchester Met teaching team and guest speakers with specialist expertise drawn from the national and international sporting business community in a workshop environment, providing new and best practice including case studies, in the fields of leadership, neuroscience, team performance, innovation, change and governance.
How to apply
Manchester Met work with their partner VSI in the application process but do not handle application direct or without prior submission to VSI. Therefore all applications for the Master’s in Sport Directorship (MSD) are being managed by Visionary Sports Investment (VSI), you can download an application form at www.sportingdirectorship.com
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Visionary Sports Investment