Normally a good UK honours degree (minimum 2:2) or international equivalent, in any subject. We will also consider your application if you have significant management experience gained in the health or social care sectors or relevant, degree-equivalent professional qualifications.
Months of entry
“To survive in the twenty-first century we’re going to need a new generation of leaders - leaders not managers.” Leadership expert Warren Bennis.
This part-time programme has been developed to provide health and social care professionals with a flexible way to develop the specialist knowledge and leadership skills required to respond to the emerging challenges posed by the Government’s evolving healthcare agenda. With a focus on providing you with a solid foundation in the field of leadership and performance, this programme offers the quality of applied education you will need to meet these challenges in the health and social care workplace.
Our students come from a range of professional backgrounds; over the last five years we have had Senior Managers from the NHS, Clinical Directors from the NHS, Health and Social care professionals.
Teaching is delivered through a combination of lectures, seminars and practical workshops in two-day blocks with occasional weekend attendance. Assessment is through a mixture of work-based projects, written assignments and research projects.
You will study the following units:
Critical Reflection on self as leader and leadership practice
Leadership Strategies for Performance
Sustainable Leadership for the Future
Investigating Business Practice
The number of units you study will depend on if you choose the PgCert (60 credits), PgDip (120 credits) or MSc (120 credits of units + 60 credit dissertation).
This professional qualification is designed to enhance the career prospects of those working in health and social care policy and management. Graduates of the course may also progress to further related study.
- The MSc Leadership in Health and Social Care programme is unique in terms of the way we have designed it and the way it is delivered by our team of leadership specialists.
- The delivery team are experienced professionals with a commitment to help make the learning experience memorable and to ensure it has an impact upon your personal and professional development. The team comprises qualified executive coaches, MBTI and psychometric assessment practitioners and qualified action learning facilitators. Each member of staff has worked extensively with managers and leaders from a wide range of sectors; are active researchers and authors of books on current aspects of leadership.
- All the assessment are applied to the workplace, enabling you to identify key health or social care issues and priorities for part of your analysis.
- You will have the opportunity to network with other senior managers and to participate in workplace shadowing; attend master class workshops with guest speakers from a wide range of backgrounds.
- This programme has an 'advanced standing' route for mature students who have relevant professional qualifications or who have previously studied for a postgraduate certificate or diploma. Through advanced standing we can give you academic credit for your current qualifications. Consequently you only need to study selected units and can achieve an MSc in a shorter timeframe. The tuition fees for this route are also lower because you only pay for the units you need to take rather than having to study all the units for the MSc.
- You will be taught in the Business School’s £75 million teaching and research headquarters on All Saints Campu in central Manchester, UK.
Information for international students
For more information to support your studies in the UK, including course details, how to apply, and living in the UK visit www.mmu.ac.uk/international
Fees and funding
For further information about funding your postgraduate study, please visit Manchester Met’s fees and funding page: http://www2.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/fees
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)161 247 6969