Normally a good UK honours degree (minimum 2:2), or international equivalent, in any subject. We will consider your application if you have significant, relevant experience or degree equivalent professional qualifications.
Months of entry
This programme will equip graduates with a unique blend of academic and practical public relations skills to enable them to work successfully in a dynamic sector. With a strong emphasis on application of knowledge to practice, industry skills such as public relations writing, media relations, digital communications and client management are underpinned by academic rigour focusing on public relations strategy, campaign planning and public relations specialisms. You will have the opportunity to work with real clients, including individually creating a press pack for use by an external client and working as part of an account team on a live PR project. You will be able to access our wide range of professional public relations practitioners and guest speakers, and have the option to undertake an internship to gain additional work experience and academic credits. Completing the programme will enhance your prospects, equipping you with the skills and knowledge required by public relations consultancies as well as private and public sector organisations.
- This programme has an advanced standing route for mature students who have relevant professional qualifications or who have previously studied for a postgraduate certificate or diploma. Through advanced standing we can give you academic credit for your current qualifications. Consequently you only need to study selected units and can achieve an MSc in a shorter timeframe. The tuition fees for this route are also lower because you only pay for the units you need to take rather than having to study all the units for the MSc.
- This course is approved by the Chartered Institution of Public Relations (CIPR) and we are a partner university of the Public Relations Consultants Association (PRCA). As a PR student at MMU, you can gain FREE student membership of these professional organisations whilst on the programme, with a range of benefits including access to professional conferences and training.
- You will be taught in the Business School’s £75 million teaching and research headquarters on All Saints Campus. Watch the video to find out more.
- Positions you as a 'plus-two' candidate capable of rapid promotion through a strong portfolio of professional skills as well as academic theory.
- Read our teaching team's PR blog to keep up to date with industry comment and observations.
- Access to our MMU PR network of practitioners and alumni on LinkedIn at: http://linkd.in/MMUPR offering contacts, work experience and employment opportunities.
- You will work as part of an account team on a live project under the guidance of an academic tutor who is also an experienced PR manager.
- You will work individually with an external client organisation to prepare a press pack containing original material for the media, including a press release, social media press release, article, case study and photography for distribution to target media. This enables you to develop your client management skills and you are supported by an academic tutor who is also an experienced PR consultancy manager.
- We encourage work experience placements and support you in finding suitable jobs on completion of the programme.
- Access to our international alumni network of graduates working in public relations.
The programme provides opportunities to gain practical experience of the PR industry through an established professional mentoring scheme and work placement opportunities with organisations based both in the North West as well as around the UK.
- Public Relations Theory, Strategy and Planning
- Strategy and Planning for Digital and Social Media Communications
- Public Relations Skills & Specialisms
- Investigating Business Practice and Research Methods
- Research Project or Dissertation
Information for international students
For more information to support your studies in the UK, including course details, how to apply, and living in the UK visit www.mmu.ac.uk/international
Fees and funding
For further information on potential sources of funding for postgraduate students, visit www.mmu.ac.uk/study/postgraduate
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written/ formal examinations||34|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||33|
|Dissertation||33 (15000 words)|
Course contact details
- Dr Jane Tonge - Course Leader
- +44 (0) 161 247 6969